Chapter 27 (S3, E3) - The Soldier

A/N: Pictured above is Anna's outfit to the funeral 

"How is she doing, Celeste?" Polly asks the other woman as she walked into Arrow House.

"She still hasn't said a word" Celeste admits grimly. It pained all of them to see Anna sink so deep in her despair but Celeste figured they'd give her time to come to terms with the loss of her grandfather.

"And Tommy and Nancy?" Polly asks in concern.

"He tries" Celeste admits sadly, "and poor Nancy still doesn't know that her mum is here" she adds, "you can tell that Mr. Shelby desperately wants to help her in whatever way he can but he can't do that until she starts properly grieving" Celeste adds wisely.

"Still no tears? No screaming? No crying?" Polly asks in concern. It would be better if Anna would cry or do something but nothing was even more worse.

"Nothing" Celeste admits, "she just sits by the window and stares out of it" she adds, "she won't see Mr. Shelby or Nancy" she adds, "I suspect that seeing them makes her loss even more real for her" she adds.

"She has to grieve, Celeste" Polly says sadly. It broke her heart to see the defeat in Tommy's eyes.

He acted just as coldly he always did with everyone else but his family could tell that his wife's withdrawal hit him a lot harder than he pretended it did, especially since Anna was so lost in her mind nowadays.

"If I knew how to make her take the first step and grieve then I would, Polly, but even I'm all out of ideas" she admits sadly, "seeing her like this..." Celeste says with tears in her eyes as her voice cracked.

It breaks my heart Celeste comments internally. She has no idea what she can do to help Anna through her grief.

Both women turn to face the stairs when they hear footsteps.

"Celeste" Anna croaks out with a voice hoarsened from not being used in so long, "please call Madame Veronique for me" she says, wrapping her blanket tighter around herself as she did.

Her blank eyes land on Polly but they don't seem to realise who she is as Polly exhales coolly at this. Polly was very worried about her.

Anna turns and heads back into the bedroom that she slept in before Polly can say anything else to her as Polly turned to face Celeste.

"Who is Madame Veronique?" Polly finds herself asking.

"The only person who can help us now" Celeste says as if just realizing this. "Excuse me" she adds before taking off and making her way toward a room with the closest phone that she can find as Polly made her way up the stairs to the room that Celeste told her Anna sat in.

She's stepped out of the room and spoken for the first time in a week so that was something, right?

⚜️Love Is A Battlefield⚜️

Madame Veronique sighs heavily when she walked into the room that Anna sat in. She sat by the window and stared out of it.

"Give us privacy" the older woman says to Celeste, who looks ready to protest but the look that the other woman gives her has her nodding her head as she stepped out the room, closing the door behind her.

"You once said that darkness loomed over my head" Anna speaks out, "does it still loom over me now?" she asks the other woman.

"Yes" the other woman admits, "but it is no longer da same darkness" she admits as Anna turns to face her.

"What do you mean?" Anna asks her.

"Death followed you, girl, make no mistake" the older woman says as she grabbed a seat, "but da death was not entirely yours" she adds.