Chapter 22 - The Ball

"Hard at work then, eh?" Tommy asks his wife as he made his way into their bedroom from the bathroom, covering his lower body with a towel as he watched her going over the papers surrounding her on their bed.

Anna did not know the meaning of relaxing. If there was something that needed to be done then she would do it, relaxing be damned.

Polly and Celeste constantly warned her not to burn the candle on both ends.

"Jack asked me to go over these" Anna replies despite not looking away from the paperwork in front of her.

"And?" he asks her.

"These numbers aren't adding up" Anna admits to him with a frown.

She would hate to have her accountant - a young man in his 20s named Tyler Hardy - end up stealing from her business, especially since it was his mother that asked Anna to give him the job in the first place but it seems that's exactly what he was doing.

"Is he stealing from you?" Tommy asks her as he opened their wardrobe and grabbed his pajamas.

"I just need to go over these accounts properly. Maybe I'm just tired" Anna retorts, thinking that maybe her exhaustion was catching up with her and that's why she couldn't read the numbers properly.

She just hopes that she's wrong.

"Love, you're one of the best accountants that I know - aside from Michael" he says as she finally lifts her head to face him as he got dressed, "so if this accountant of yours is stealing from you then I'm gonna have to step in" he says firmly.

No one would take advantage of his wife's good nature.

No one.

Not while he was still alive to prevent it.

"I'll take care of it" Anna retorts, knowing what his method of "stepping in" entails.

He "stepped in" with Conan O'Neal and the man's body was found in Camden Town, courtesy of Alfie, who claimed that the man threatened his business with not just Tommy but Anna too.

Tommy gives her a look that says 'will you?', knowing well enough that his wife has a kind heart and she'd probably warn the man not to repeat his actions again.

Perpetrators won't stop doing something from a mere warning, action must be taken so that they take note not to repeat the action again.

Anna was the more soft-hearted one of the two of them. Tommy on the other hand always claimed that he couldn't afford to be emotional about anything so he says that Anna does it for him.

They both know that Tommy was the brains and Anna was the heart and soul of the two of them. Tommy always tells her that she's his guilty conscience because he claims not to have one.

"I'll take care of it" she repeats firmly as Tommy nods at this as he made his way toward her on their bed as Anna gathered all the papers and put them on the headboard beside her.

Anna pecks him lightly and he deepens their kiss until they hear their daughter shouting loudly from her bedroom.

"Daddy, Daddy, you didn't check for monsters tonight!"

"Mommy's coming sweetheart!" Anna shouts back, since Tommy still needed to get dressed.

"No, I want Daddy!" Nancy shouts back as Anna chuckles at this.

"Your heard your princess" Anna says, "get dressed quickly while I keep her company" she says as she pecks him once more before making her way to their daughter's bedroom.