Chapter 1 (S2, E1) - The Funeral

A/N: I know that series 2 likely takes place in 1921/1922 but for the sake of this story it'll be 1922.

P.S: I may post pictures of the outfits that Anna wears for the specific chapters but alas they are worn by models or actresses so please bear that in mind. Marsha Thomason IS the face claim for Anna.

Also, this book will have more mature themes than the first one so please bear that in mind. I'll put warnings so you know which chapters have the mature themes though. Thanks and enjoy✌️

(1922)

Freddie had passed from pestilence and despite his being a communist the entire family attended his funeral and it seems that they weren't the only ones.

Anna was also there.

Next to her stood an elderly black woman who was also dressed in the customary black clothing.

"What--?" John questions only to notice where his aunt was looking, "Fookin' 'ell" he whispers with wide eyes when he spots Anna.

"What's she doin' here?" Esme asks John in a whisper as she tried to stop her son from crying. She was fearful of what might happen if Tommy saw her. Everyone who was anyone knew that in Small Heath Anna-Maria's name was never to be mentioned.

After his speech Tommy draws back from Freddie's grave and that's when he sees her.

He almost staggers at the sight of her.

Even from a distance she looked as ethereal as she had when he had last laid eyes on her. She was dressed in a black dress, black Mary Jane heels, a black fur collar coat and paired it all with a black cloche hat.

"Tommy" Polly comments in concern when she sees him staring at Anna, unable to take his eyes off of her. "Tommy, please-" she begs him when she sees the way his eyes harden as he moved to approach her but Polly stops him by placing a hand on his chest. "Wait until the funeral is over" she begs him.

Tommy nods stiffly at this as he slowly looked away from Anna, a part of him almost afraid that if he looked away then she'd be nothing but a figment of his imagination. But then he reassures him that she can't be because Polly sees her too.

⚜️Love Is A Battlefield⚜️

"Auntie Anna!" Karl shouts excitedly as he ran over to her as she smiled sweetly at him as she picked him up from the ground and placed him on her hip as Ada made her way toward Anna and Mary.

"Anna, you came!" Ada says, sounding relieved to see her there.

"I promised" Anna says as she kisses Karl's cheek and turns to face Ada while her family slowly made their way toward them, coming from behind Ada. "I'm sorry about Freddie, Ada" she says solemnly.

"Thank you Anna" Ada says sincerely. "Nancy couldn't come?" she asks.

"I thought it best that she don't" Anna says as her eyes land on the Shelbys who were slowly making their way toward them. Anna could feel the penetration of Tommy's glare even from where she stood.

"Auntie Nance, can I visit Nance?" Karl asks her with a toothless grin.

"Of course you can, sweetheart" Anna says to the soon-to-be 3 year old. "I'll have a car pick you up tomorrow" she adds, "that okay Ada?" she asks her friend's permission.

"That's perfect with me" Ada replies as Anna inhales deeply when the Shelbys draw closer.

"Mrs. Locksley" Tommy greets her first, pure venom in his voice as Anna hands Karl to Ada.