Chapter 3

Who got time?

Flashback:

Today is the inauguration of our hot new alpha, there will be a ceremony then we will party the night away, Black River pack style and we may be a tiny pack but we know how to get down and dirty. I walked excitedly with my age group from the pack house where we resided (from the ages of 16 to 19 all the pups moved to the pack house where the elders and parents took turns watching over them).

My best friends Marsha and Donovan were beside me; we were dressed to the nines. Though I had seen the young alpha in passing way back when, we had never really interacted since he was 5 years older than us and our paths barely crossed. He has been back for 2 weeks now after being away for 3 years of alpha training.

I haven't seen him yet because I was on patrol and volunteering at the hospital the first week then the second week I had menial tasks all week; I had pup care, I also had culinary school, I was on lunch duty and again volunteering at the pack hospital ( I love this and I get to be around my father), tasks that everyone has to do in order for pack life to run smoothly.

Anyway I have been busy and we haven't crossed paths but Marsha showed me his picture which she took sneakily like a weirdo and I swooned and melted like a Popsicle on hot summer day, this man is so beautiful and gorgeous and mate less sooooooo as mate less she wolf all I am saying is I am eager, able and available.

As we got nearer, the official inaugural meet was in full swing, the adults were seated in the hall but none of this noisy procession was going in there;

"Let's get this party started" Jeremy an 18yr old warrior hooted.

Every one gave a loud whoop before getting shushed by Elder Ida, she was not here for our foolishness she could have snatched our throats right out of our necks and made us put then in our pockets. She was tough but she loved us all like her own; which we were since she lived in the pack house as official matron.

"Let's get this party started" Jeremy whisper yelled

"Yayyy" we all whisper yelled before giggling like a pack of hyenas.

We were all cordial and friendly with each other, any queen bees or mean girls or jocks or bullies were checked into dust by Elder Ida so such things did not exist among the youth in the pack, any bullying, disrespect and disobedience was nipped in the bud by Elder Ida, she had somehow managed to create a healthy environment for all of us to thrive.

Seeing as the rowdy bunch was not going to calm down she assigned us tasks to keep us away from the hall, we dispersed into small groups to make food or drinks, I was assigned the grill ribs 

I rubbed the gigantic slabs of meat with spices and set them aside to marinate before starting the fire on the 4 grills for barbecuing. I could hear the ceremony going on inside; my wolf had been antsy for two weeks now, no amount of running could calm her down.

"What's wrong" I asked her as I waited for the coals to get hotter.

"I don't know I feel so restless" she whined and shut me out again.

Donovan and Marsha came over to help man the stoves and we started grilling, I decided to take the first batch to the hospital because I knew those people would not be coming to the party and all remainders would be dutifully claimed.

I was back in 10 minutes thanks to werewolf speed, Donovan had kept everything on the grill going and Marsha was setting up the desserts that we had made the day before. We were laughing and joking around when the scent of apples and pine hit me like a truck just as the crowd was pouring out of the hall.

It was like an invisible pull of sort, I began to crane my neck and squint my eyes to see who it could be. My wolf yipped within me getting more and more excited, my smile got wider and wider as it dawned on me that my mate was here, NOW. I would have loved to meet him like in the movies all dolled up in a meadow not smelling like meat and smoke in a crowded place, like before I started cooking when my dress was not yet splattered with marinade.

But I needed to meet him right now, this instant, I started making my way to the crowd with sweaty palms, soon my brisk walk became a full blown run as I raced through the crowd to get to him. Then I saw him, he stood a few inches above every one maybe 6'3 with flaming red hair. I couldn't make out his eyes but they were definitely intense and he had really beautiful lips.

The crowd was very drawn to him, his aura was distinguished yet approachable, wait a minute no wonder he looked so familiar, his features mirrored the alpha and that flaming red hair was just like the Luna's. My mate is the new alpha; I did not get a chance to process this information before my wolf took over and launched us straight at him.

His chest was very large and very warm and very comfortable, he smelled so good I wanted to rub myself all over him: I couldn't help but sigh and breathe out the word that was on the tip of my tongue since I had set my eyes on him,

"Mate"

                                                                                      FIN