"Fine, then I'm taking you home. You're not going on the damned subway at this time of night."

She tugged again. "The hell I'm not! Let go of me."

Their power struggle caught the attention of a group of men standing outside a nearby bodega. "Hey miss, do you need some help?" Five men stepped forward as a group.

She shot angry eyes at them. "No. This idiot just thinks he knows what's best for me."

Drew turned on her. "I'm an idiot for wanting to make sure you're safe? You were the one who waited until we were at a restaurant to break up with me. You couldn't have done it like a normal person? When you were already at home and I wouldn't have to worry about you traveling the subway at night by yourself?"

"I've been taking the subway my whole life. I can take care of myself."

"You're not taking the damned train!"

"A-yo, my man, she said she's fine. Take your hand off her," one of the men said.

"Yeah, take your hand off me!" she snapped.

The men came closer now, more menacing. "She said let go of her."

That wild streak that seemed to always simmer below his surface reared its head and Pria gasped in shock when Drew snapped his head toward the men. The glimmer in his eyes wasn't fear, it was pure antagonizing challenge. "Who's gonna make me?"

The men stepped forward again. One man, a little more aggressive than the rest, moved at a fast pace, obviously ready to do what he felt he needed to. Pria instantly stepped between Drew and the other men. "Wait—"

But Drew wound an arm around her waist and pulled her back against him. "Stay out of this, Pria." She could feel his every muscle stiffen in anticipation, could smell the adrenaline coursing through him. "Had you just come with me, you would already be halfway home by now." He shoved her behind him, but kept his hand on her to ensure she stayed close.

The gesture made the more aggressive man pause and he looked between Drew and Pria. "Miss, do you want our help?"

Exasperated and wanting to diffuse the situation, she shook her head. "He's just being a dick because I broke up with him."

"Then she wouldn't even wait until I finished my marsala before she took off. How do I explain to her father that I let her take the subway home?" He swung his head to glare at her again and his anger was palpable. "That's not how a man does things. I don't care how angry you are at me. If I take you out, then I take you home."

One of the men relaxed his shoulders and lit a cigarette. "He's got a point, miss."

She wanted to tell the man what he could do with his opinion, but he had been willing to put himself on the line for her, so she only shot him a sarcastic look then rounded on Drew. "Why the hell do you even care? You don't even want to be with me anymore. Be happy I'm making it easy for you."

"I'm not going to—" Drew began to argue, but one man stepped forward, catching their attention.

"Look, either he takes you home or one of us does. He's right—a tiny, pretty little lady shouldn't be taking the subway alone at night."

A satisfied smirk covered Drew's lips. He folded his arms over his chest and glared at her. The other men looked at her expectantly.

Pria stood there, mouth nearly hanging open. "Are you kidding me right now?" How had they all just turned against her like that? "You can all kiss my ass! How about that?"

She turned on her heel, ready to walk away, but in their new found comradery, they all stepped in front of her and one of the men she didn't know repeated, "Either he takes you home, or we do. You're obviously in no frame of mind to be on your own."