Chapter 14.2--Steve

Zacznij od początku

I glanced at Natasha. She nodded.

"I think we've made our choice," I told Jessia.

Jessica smiled. "Perfect. Now, have you chosen a wedding venue yet? We do cater at a flat rate for up to 50 miles but if it's more of a distance wedding, we ask for a month's notice and an extra charge to be discussed later."

I nodded. "We haven't decided on a venue yet, but we'll be in touch."

"Thanks for coming in! And congratulations."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"So what do you want to do tonight?" Natasha asked me after the cake tasting. We had sent the others home and were taking a walk around the block.

I swung our hands back and forth. "Watch a movie? Eat some popcorn? Drink some wine?"

Natasha smiled. "It's not as fun when you can't get drunk."

I laughed. "That is true. But it doesn't matter because I'm with you."

She stopped on the sidewalk, leaning up to kiss me. "I love you."

I kissed her back. "I love you too." I looped my arm through hers. "Care for a churro?"

Natasha laughed. "We just spent the afternoon eating cake and you're still hungry?"

"Well, it's me. I'm always hungry," I replied.

"You're a goof," she said. "But sure, I could go for a churro."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

That night, we cozied up under the covers to watch a movie together. Natasha had made some popcorn and we were drinking wine.

"Can I ask you something?" Natasha asked, leaning her head on my shoulder.

"Of course. What's up?"

"Have you thought about moving?"

I scooched over on the bed. "Better?"

Nat smirked and hit me with a pillow. "Not what I had in mind, Steve. I meant, have you ever thought about moving out of the compound? You know, getting our own place?

I sat up. "Wait, are you serious?"

Natasha bit her lip and nodded. "Don't get me wrong, I love staying here. I love being close to everyone."

"I sense a 'but' on the way," I mumbled.

"I just think that once we're married, we might want to...settle down."

I grinned and kissed her. "Have you ever expected to say those words?"

She shook her head. "Never. But you're worth it. And we don't have to leave, but I just thought...I don't know, it's just something I've been thinking about."

"Well, I think it's a great idea. Having our own place might be a better way to raise a baby. Although, here we have 24 hr babysitters."

"I love how we're not even pregnant yet and you're already thinking about babysitters," she said, leaning against me again.

"It's good to be proactive." I kissed her shoulder.

Just then, my phone rang.

Natasha groaned. "Please don't answer that."

"I have to. It's Fury." I kissed her again and rolled out of bed.

"Hello?" I said into the phone once I was out in the hallway.

"I need you at headquarters pronto, Cap," he ordered.

I checked my watch. "Now? It's 10 at night."

"I am well aware of the time, Cap. And I'm telling you that I need you here."

"Ok. I'm on my way." I paused. "Just me or do you want Natasha or the others too?"

"Just you. Nat—Agent Romanoff needs to be left out of the loop on this one," he said, his voice giving off the slightest bit of emotion.

"Is everything ok, Nick?" I asked.

"You will know what you need to soon." He hung up before I could say anything else. I slowly returned to my room.

"What did Nick say?" Natasha asked. She was sitting up and had put on one of my tshirts for warmth.

"Um, he needs me to come into headquarters," I told her, not making eye contact.

Natasha, being the spy she was, picked up on it immediately. "Hey. Look at me." She tilted my face towards hers with her finger. "What aren't you telling me?"

"You know, I wish I knew. And that is the honest truth. All Fury said is that he needs me to come to headquarters."

"Oh." She stood up and started for her side of the dresser.

"Alone," I added.

Natasha paused with the drawer open. "Why?"

"I don't know. Honest. Believe me, if I knew I'd tell you." I kissed her cheek. "I'll see you in the morning?"

"You don't want me to wait up?"

I shook my head. "I don't know how long this is gonna take and I want you to get some rest. But I promise I'll be back in the morning. I'll make breakfast and everything."

Natasha smiled. "I love you. Be safe."

"I love you too. And I will." My heart sank a little as I closed the door to our room and headed down to my car.

Once at headquarters, I met up with Fury who did not look happy.

"Captain, we have a situation," he said.

"What happened?" I asked.

He showed me one of the monitors. "We got this on tape a little after 7 tonight."

My eyes widened. "No. That can't...I thought..."

"Exactly."

"So what do we do?"

"Well, for starters, you do not under any circumstances tell Agent Romanoff anything. I don't care that you're engaged. This just...it's not a heartstring you wanna tug at."

I nodded. "Who is she exactly? The girl?"

"A ghost from Natasha's past."

---

A/N: this ending definitely evolved differently in my head than how I was originally intending but I'm ready to see where my brain takes me 😂 I hope you enjoyed!

~Han