Side Chapter: New love or Past love?

Start from the beginning

"If you love two people at the same time, choose the second. Because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn't have fallen for the second one." (Lenard) answers weirdly feeling confused and a sudden realization has swept in, "I-I mean it's just a saying there's not much evidence that it's right!"

Ellis laughs softly, taking in his young master's adorable expression. It made him want to pet his head but he knew his limits. A servant could never lay a hand with selfish intentions against his master. "Young master, I agree on the second love. Truly, if you really loved the first then you would never..."

Lenard stares at Ellis for a moment. Somehow it felt like time has stopped, "You would have never fallen in love with the-"

Knock! Knock! Knock!

A knock on the door interrupted them as a maid's voice was heard. "Young master Lenard, you have a visitor. It's Lord Vincent Wolford." (Maid)

The timing was impeccable, Ellis noticed that Lenard's thoughts were now drifting away and that he couldn't do anything for the meantime. "Um... Ellis, do you mind continuing the conversation later?" (Lenard) asked him, to which Ellis responded with a simple nod not replying in words anymore.

He, after all, knew Lenard's feelings towards the son of the Duke. He thought it was even foolish to try but... can you blame him?

Lord Vincent opened the library door, his face lighting up the moment he saw Lenard but he hid it away in a mask after noticing they weren't alone.

He sees Ellis at the side standing firmly close to Lenard, "Greetings to the Viscount's son." (Lord Vincent) greeted with a bow as Lenard did the same but he was really nervous when he did it.

"G-Greetings to the Duke's son. Lord Vincent, it's a pleasure to be in your presence." (Lenard)

Vincent glances at Ellis then never bothered to notice him again. "Lenard, why are you not responding to my requests of visit? Has our friendship become this shallow?" (Vincent) teased a little but Lenard thought of it as a literal question.

"I-I've been busy with um... work." (Lenard)

"Is that so? What work have you been doing nowadays?" (Vincent) asked , taking initiative for the whole conversation. Lenard was confused as to why he was nervous after all there's no reason to be?

"Work... with a friend that's um confidential." (Lenard) answered, trying his best not to slip, taking a glance at Ellis who smiled being reminded of the book time they had together.

It would be embarrassing if Lord Vincent knew about what they were doing. Is what Lenard thought at that moment wanting to divert the conversation into something else but he didn't know what.

Vincent noticed that he was uncomfortable as he noticed the unfamiliar figure that was just standing in the corner, "Is he your new aid?"

Ellis smiled politely at Vincent knowing his place, taking a bow, "Yes I am, it is a pleasure to meet you, my lord. My name is Ellis Regan, a humble servant of the Yulien household." (Ellis) introduced himself with a clear voice.