"You suffered from a mild concussion—you got hit very hard. Your shoulder separated and we fixed that, your arm is very swollen which we concluded was a sprain by X-rays."

"So I'm out for the season?" Reese asked the doctor- hope laid in his voice. Reese frowned as the doctor tried to spit his words out. "You'll be out for maybe two years. You have to go through rehab and a shoulder is not something you want to mess with Mr. Joseph. That is something that could need to be replaced every year if you tweak it too hard too fast." I watch as the realization dawned on him. The frozen stare became amused—did he think this was funny?

"Rehab?" Reese asked with a laugh.

The doctor wasn't laughing. "Yes, rehab. You need it so you don't ruin the work that I just put into you for you to become fixed again." I gave the doctor a thumbs up without Reese looking—I needed to talk to Reese, with or without coach.

He needed a friend, not a doctor telling him his dream may be over.

"I'm sorry we met in these circumstances. We have a few prescriptions that we have filled for you—take them as needed, and make sure to take whatever physical therapy you can as soon as recommend. If you need anything else while you're here, please let me know Mr. Joseph."

And then the nurses and doctor left leaving coach, Reese, and I in one hospital room. Sighing, "Reese—" He cut me off.

"This is bullshit. I don't need to listen to them, I'm not even in that much pain. I can come back after the fucking concussion. Stupid fucking shoulder," He tried to rip the sling off as I reached forward, snapping it back together.

"Reese—it's true. It's real. It's real-life dude and I'm here for you, whether you need me to go to the therapy sessions with you or coach, we are here for you. That hit you took was brutal and you deserved better. I should've blocked you because I was open, I had nobody in my sight. I wish I would have paid more attention to what was going on in front of me."

Nodding, he grimaced as he realized he couldn't give his neck much motion. "What's the verdict though? Like how long and I going to actually be out of football?" He asked as I frowned at him immediately trying to deter myself from the situation. What was going on right now was out of his hands.

"So you won't be playing with me for the rest of the seasons—you father and I have been in contact and as soon as we fly back, you'll be starting physical therapy. Until you get the green light that your tissue has built back up, I don't want you playing on my field. I don't want you hurt worse," Reese let out a laugh, laying his head back against the hospital pillow.

"This is fucking bullshit," He spoke as I nodded.

"The kid got thrown out of the game and is put on suspension for hitting you. Who even was that kid?" He chuckled, an evil glint in his eye. "Nobody important," He answered.

Coach stood up, tapping Reese's leg. "A shoulder is healable—however a spine isn't as easy to heal. Be grateful you're still walking after a hit like that, Joseph." Giving his leg another tap he headed for the door before exiting the room.

As soon as the door shut that's when Reese started to mimic coach. "Be grateful you're still walking after a hit like that," He raised his voice an octave higher as I smiled at him.

"Nothing can ever go my way," He bitched as I shrugged.

I did feel bad—I never took time to know much about Reese because I was Matti's friend.

"This is exactly what Matti wanted, wasn't it? He told me I'd never beat him or his fucking records. I could've done it—and now I can't. Now I won't even fucking be able to kick his ass in the major leagues." He flipped out.