But I felt bad.

Because I could've blocked for him damnit.

The player who targeted Reese with the illegal hit was ejected from the game immediately following. It was so blatant that even the Iowa fans didn't even disagree with the ejection. There wasn't even a fight to win after that shit show, but somehow Mitch threw four touchdown passes and we only let Idaho score two on us.

But this wasn't a win we could celebrate.

If I were to go back to the hotel now, I am almost positive that nobody would be sleeping. I couldn't even turn on the hospital television because all of the news channels and sports channels were covering the illegal hit.

The hit that was going to cost Reese everything.

"If there is a will then there is a way with this kid, Blake. You know he never takes no for an answer," He responded taking a sip of his coffee. He rubbed his thumb against his beard for a moment before I shook my head.

"Don't you regret giving me the ball instead of him now?" I asked as he looked at me in shock. "What? He's only going to have next season to show his talent if he's even able to play then. I mean—you heard the fucking doctor, he had to have immediate surgery on his shoulder. What happens if this season wasn't enough? Then he is screwed out his dream..." I gripped the edge of the chair with my fingers.

I was pissed for Reese.

"A dream is a wish—not a promise, but a wish." I shook my head as coach held his hand up to me.

"You don't think I know this coach? But the kid is a fucking hospital bed expecting to be in drafted next year and to play another season with you! Instead of saying that his dream is only a wish—maybe try to sympathize for the guy you didn't give a chance because he's not fucking Matti!" I whisper yelled at him.

"Stop," My eyes snapped to my best friend who laid with a cast on his arm and a shoulder wrap. "Hey buddy," I rushed out my words.

I watched as he struggled to open his eyes for a moment. When he did it was mortifying to see him try to use his hand, only to realize that it was confined to a cast- it was slowly hitting him.

His season was over because of his shoulder being broke.

His football career could be over because of it too.

I watched as he overcame with anger. He was livid- he groaned, he cursed under his breath feeling the pain.

Reaching over, I grabbed the water with the straw on the table beside him before bringing it to his lips, making sure he stayed hydrated. Reaching over to the call button, I pressed it for a nurse to come and see he was awake.

His IV drip was running low too—and I don't know how long they were going to keep him here for either. He was two hours out of surgery and he had been in and out, mumbling words under his breath.

A nurse entered the room, seeing he was awake before immediately walking out running to grab the doctor. Reese'sparents couldn't be here because his father was all the way out at Penn State and his mother was in Beverly Hills for an appointment.

"Coach," Reese acknowledged the old man who sat next to me.

The door opened and entered a doctor followed by not one—but two nurses.

"Mr. Joseph, I'm Dr. Ricardo—these are the two on—call nurses that were in the OR during your surgery today." Reese nodded. "You got very lucky a piece of your shoulder bone didn't break off into a vertebra." Reese stayed silent as I wanted to butt in and tell him to quit being so harsh to him.