Touch

***

A Soulmate Au. People can't touch each other. Only their soulmate.

....

“The same as always,”

Lisa asked, with that smirk around her lips that had boys falling on their knees for her. In the very beginning, Bambam had admired her too, just a tiny bit, because it was simply impossible not to melt a little inside when Lisa Manoban ordered a raspberry flavored latte in your café. It wasn’t exactly the kind of Crush thing they wrote novels about, but Bambam definitely wouldn’t have minded if Lisa would have been the Touch for him.

She wasn’t. And if she would have been, she wouldn’t have stayed with him. Everyone who had ever actually talked to Lisa knew that she was looking for a girl, and would prefer staying alone over a relationship with a boy. So Bambam prepared her lattes with perfectionist milk drawings in the thick layers of foam, and Lisa told him about the books she was writing, and as her visits became more numerous and their conversations more profound, they decided that they would go through life as best friends.

“You weren’t here yesterday,” Lisa noted as she watched him pour milk into her cup with a focused look on his face. Today’s pattern was a dragonfly, he’d decided, with long small wings of a rare elegance – a little like Lisa. Satisfied with the end result, he put the finished latte on a tray and shoved it towards Lisa over the bar. She waited for him to draw his hands back before she took the cup and used it to warm up her cold hands.

“You know, contrary to you, I do take a day off sometimes,” Bambam said mysteriously.

Lisa studied him over the rim of her cup while she took a long sip. “You had a date, didn’t you?”

Bambam licked his lips, wondering why this woman could see through him so well. “Maybe,” he decided. “And I guess you have started another book?”  

She gave him one of those deep, estimating, don’t try to avoid the subject-looks. “That’s not nearly as important as the date, Bam. Tell me about her.”

“Alright then.”

He rested his elbows on the bar, the smile he was trying to hide slowly spreading across his face. “Her name is Miyeon. I met her on Saturday, she was shopping in the city with her best friend and they came in for a drink. I don’t know what it was, she just looked at me and…” He sighed deeply.

Lisa shook her head, grinning. “God, Bam, you’re so cheesy.”

“That’s the influence of your books,” he argued back. “No, seriously, do you know this feeling when you see a girl and you just feel like everything about her is right and you start talking and you can’t stop smiling and you get a feeling that she might like you back, but then you get scared because what if you touch her and she turns out not to be… it. You know that feeling?”

“No,” Lisa mumbled, without looking up from her coffee. “If she’s not your Touch, then she won’t be right for you anyway, so why worry about that.” 

“Sometimes I do wonder if you have feelings at all,” Bambam complained, while he returned to his coffee machines to serve other customers. When he was done, Lisa thoughtfully licked her spoon and neatly put it next to her cup.

“I don’t think there is such a thing as feelings for someone who’s not your Touch,” she said. “I mean, I did think I felt something for Irene at the time and I did hope that she would be the one. But what’s the point of longing for someone if you can’t have her anyway.”