Halloween

***

Chaeyoung Park and Lisa Manoban have been best friends since 2nd grade. Of all the holidays they celebrated together, Halloween always had to be their favorite.

“So who are you dressing up as this year Chaeng?”

“We do couple costumes every year Lisa, so obviously we’re going as Harley and Ivy.”

“I never agreed to that.”

“You’re agreeing right now.”

“I’m agreeing right now.”

“Thought so.”

“Wait, so who’s Ivy and who’s Harley?”

“Obviously I’m Harley, you’re Ivy.”

“Just because I own a few plants Chae-“

“A few? Lisa your desk has small cacti all over it, your balcony has ferns hanging up on it-“

“Okay okay! I get it, I have a lot of plants, some of us actually care about the environment.”

“Yeah yeah anyway, let’s go look for our costumes.”

Lisa watches as the blonde-haired girl that’s been her best friend for 10 years leads the way to her car by grabbing her hand and dragging her along. For the many years they’ve been friends Lisa has had a crush on Chaeyoung for 3 of them. She can’t get the thought of them being a real couple out of her head as she’s pulled along to the car.

“Lisa pick up your feet let’s goooo.”

“Ye-yeah, I’m coming.”

The two arrive at the spirit of Halloween store to find their costumes and makeup. Chaeyoung watches as Lisa rifles through a makeup bin to find green body paint.

“Lis hurry up, I can’t even try to find the white paint I need because your big head is in the way.”

“Wow, you would figure after all these years you would stop calling me that.”

“It’s a term of endearment, big head, big heart.”

As Lisa continues searching for the paint, Chaeyoung thinks back to their first Halloween as friends.

Halloween, Second Grade

Chaeyoung walks around her neighborhood until she knocks on the door of a house with a red door and skeletons hanging from the front. A black haired little girl and an older woman with brown eyes open the door.

“Trick or treat!!” Chaeyoung yells as she holds out her pumpkin shaped candy holder.

“Hi. Don’t you look downright adorable!” Chaeyoung had dressed as Cinderella this year after convincing her mother to accompany her as one of the mice.

“My name’s Claire and this is my daughter Chaeyoung, we live a few houses down.”

“I’m Amy and this is little Lalisa.”