Playground Love

***

Lisa was minding her own business, reading her favourite book on a bench near the playground.

Her mother had long given up on encouraging her to join her brothers Bam and Ten on the monkey bars or in the sand pit. The only thing she liked on the playground were the swings. They made her feel free and the constant back and forth movement soothed her always thinking mind.

But the swing was currently occupied by a girl with blonde hair, and she seemed to love it equally as much as Lisa. So, she was on the bench reading her book, but not without sneaking glances at the swing set to see if the girl had moved on to do something else.

She had given up on waiting for the swing and was just about to go find her mom to ask her to go home when a shy "Hey" startled her. The blonde haired girl stood in front of her.

Lisa took a closer look at the person who denied her, her daily swinging session. They were about the same hight the girl’s blonde hair was in a ponytail and she was wearing a dress. Lisa would never in her life wear a dress and her black curls always were in braids, she liked it best that way.

Her lips were curved in a nervous looking smile, that reminded Lisa that she had yet to respond

Lisa not knowing what the girl could possibly want from her replied with a confused and equally as shy "Hi".

Apparently, she did the right thing, because now the blonde didn't look quite as nervous anymore. "I saw you looking at me on the swing quite a lot and I have to go home now, so I thought I'd tell you that the swing is free now."

Lisa was speechless and even more confused, kids didn’t usually come to talk to her and the few times they did, they never had anything nice to say to her.

The girl must have sensed Lisa’s confusion, because she smiled at her and said "Well, I have to go now, be quick or the swing is taken by someone else" and she turned around to walk to a man standing by the swing. When the girl reached him, she turned around again and waved.

Lisa was in shock. She didn't know what to do so she snaped her eyes to her book and pretended to be reading. This girl had no reason to talk to her. If she had really seen Lisa looking at the swing, why hadn’t she just assumed that she would notice when the swing was free for her to use?

Lisa wasn't a very approachable looking child. She always had something in her hands to fidget with, she didn't like to look people in the eyes, and she also didn't like being interrupted while reading. All that made her “the weird kid” where ever she went.

But for some reason the blonde interrupting her was okay. For some reason she was intrigued by her and for the first time in her life she regretted not being able to look at people’s eyes because she desperately wanted to know what colour they were.

By the time she looked up from her book again the girl and the man, probably her father, were gone. She stood up slowly and made her way over to the swing. She gently laid the book on the grass and sat down on the swing. It felt nice to sit there, the same swing the girl had sat on, knowing she came to her only to tell Lisa that she had to go now. It made Lisa’s stomach flutter and when her mother called to tell her it was time to go, she almost wanted to protest because it felt like the swing was a gift to her from the blonde and leaving would be like abandoning and not appreciating it.