Illustrations

**

Chaeyoung sat at the outside table at her favorite cafe next to the flower shop. She went there to do some work or search for inspiration, or even just to people watch while she sipped her coffee, often times bringing her tablet or sketchbook and doodling random things or people she found interesting.

One day she just couldn’t seem to find any inspiration anywhere she looked. She felt like she exhausted everything she could draw. So, she sat in her seat, lazily doodling circles on a notecard.

She had looked up for a moment, noticing her favorite florist was working that day. She could see her clearly through the massive wall of windows that the floral shop had, displaying the mass amount of flowers of every color. She smiled to herself as she doodled on the notecard, occasionally glancing up to look at the eyes that had enchanted her from afar. She never had the guts to go talk to her, nor did she know what she’d say.

Chaeyoung felt a little...weird keeping a picture she drew of a woman she never spoke to, and waited till the florist went into the back room before choosing to swing into the shop next to the cafe and drop the notecard on the counter next to the register, writing a note on the back for her.

It became a habit when she was low on motivation and inspiration, she would go to the café and doodle the florist, and wrote a note on the back, she would only occasionally drop it off at the shop for fear or creeping her out. But every time she did, she would watch from a distance and see her reaction.

A slow smile would creep across her face as she read the notes and she would look around, hoping to catch the eye of the person with the notecards.

Lisa smiled and handed the woman her the boquet of flowers wrapped in colorful paper. She grinned back and handed her the receipt as well.

“Thank you, enjoy your bouquet !” she said to her as she left. She waved back, acknowledging that she heard her. She was a regular, she loved the arrangements that Lisa made and she frequently told her what her husband thought of the last set of flowers when she came in. She was a sweet girl, and she enjoyed the familiar face.

She slipped into the backroom, checking her phone for messages from her friends. There were a few, mostly asking what she was up to.

She stepped back out and noticed a card on the counter by the register. She was smiling before she even looked at it. Her heart was already fluttering at the illustration of her handing her favorite customer her flowers with a smile. Written across the top of the card, it said “your cute when you smile”

Lisa bit her lip, looking around and hoping the person was still within earshot.

“You spelled ‘you’re’ wrong,” she said with a light laugh. “But thank you. I wish I could say the same about you.”

As always, there was no reply, but she hoped they had heard her. She flipped the card over, seeing a longer note than normal.

‘I hope this doesn’t freak you out, I don’t really have the guts to walk up to you so I started doing this to get around that. Anywho, I really like your smile, it’s genuine and full of happiness. It’s beautiful ;)’

Lisa’s pulse fluttered and she smiled wide, putting the card on the pile with the rest of them next to the register. Before she closed up the shop for the night, she rubber banded all the cards together and tucked them in her pocket.