Ten Year Plan

**

Chaeyoung: WHY IS SHE LIKE THIS?!
Chaeyoung: WHY AM I LIKE THIS?!
Chaeyoung: WHYYYYYYY?!

Chaeyoung threw her phone down in frustration, then picked it up again, glaring at the screen as if she could will the three little dots that would tell her Jennie was replying to pop up. As if Jennie didn't have anything better to do on a Friday night than stare at her phone waiting for Chaeyoung's inevitable meltdown. She could be anywhere, doing anything – or anyone – she wanted.

So could you, Chaeyoung's subconscious (which sounded suspiciously like Ashley at the moment) reminded her. It was a conversation they had all too often. Her and Ashley, not her and her subconscious. She was much better at shutting down the latter than the former when the topic of Chaeyoung's love life, or lack thereof, came up.

"You could have anyone you wanted," Ashley said. "Seriously, you could walk into a club and take your pick. But instead you choose to sit in your room and wallow in Ben & Jerry's and self-pity. Which is the opposite of attractive."

"But delicious," Chaeyoung mumbled around the spoon she'd just stuck in her mouth, letting Cherry Garcia melt on her tongue.

Ashley rolled her eyes.

She always rolled her eyes, as if she hadn't won the dating lottery during freshman orientation, when she'd met her boyfriend (and likely soon-to-be fiancé, although Chaeyoung thought he might be holding out until graduation to pop the question) James. Not that Chaeyoung wanted him. Even if he wasn't dating one of her best friends, he still wasn't her type. Her type was...

Jennie: I would ask why who was like what, but that would be a waste of both of our time.
Jennie: What did she do now?

... unavailable girls who were out of her league. Who were completely oblivious to the fact that every time they smiled Chaeyoung broke out in a cold sweat and her heart started beating so erratically she was starting to think a pacemaker might be in order.

Chaeyoung sighed.

Chaeyoung : Nothing. She did absolutely nothing.

She was perfectly sweet and friendly.

Jennie: And that's the problem?

And that was the problem.

She could see Jennie was typing again, but Chaeyoung switched over to her thread with Lisa to read the last message she'd sent for the hundredth time in the last... had it really only been fifteen minutes? It felt like much longer.

Lisa: Gotta go. Overnight shift at work, ugh. Maybe we can meet up in the morning?

Chaeyoung: Won't you be tired?

Lisa: Even a tired girl has to eat. 😉 LMK

Chaeyoung hadn't responded. She hadn't known how to respond.

Jennie's message popped up on her screen.

Jennie: Crazy idea – just hear me out – but maybe you should TALK TO HER?!