Breakfast

It's a rare treat to wake up early as one Park Chaeyoung. The chances of her waking before midday was usually the same as winning the lottery.

Sunlight has yet to crack through the curtains, with her arm lifting up to uncover her eyes. She tries to sit up, but there's a very warm presence snuggled up beside her. She can feel a nose tucked in the crook of her neck, arms possessively clutching her waist.

Chaeyoung tilts her head and lets her cheek fall into soft curls. She hums as she runs fingers through Lisa's hair. Lisa's eyes close for a few moments as Lisa tries to press their bodies closer together. It's peaceful, contentment settling in her bones. Chaeyoung doesn't want to leave.

She knows that Lisa had a rough day yesterday, when she felt the bed dip at 3AM. Lisa had all but thrown herself to bed after peeling away her uniform and changing. There were no injuries but she was wrung out of energy. Chaeyoung remembers Lisa whimpering, remembers her hand under Lisa's shirt, up and down her spine in comforting motions. 

Chaeyoung never opened her eyes last night, when Lisa kisses her and says "Keep sleeping." she knows Lisa doesn't want her to fret, not when it's so early in the morning. So Chaeyoung slept.

It's still the early morning when Chaeyoung wakes. She extricates herself from Lisa's grasp with care, movements practiced from before. Lisa whines from the loss, so Chaeyoung replaces her person with a pillow, cool to the touch.

"Need to use the bathroom, baby. Just keep sleeping," Chaeyoung whispers, dropping a kiss on Lisa's forehead before padding out of the room. The door closes with a soft 'click'.

Rather than the bathroom, Chaeyoung heads to the kitchen. There's a faint idea itching in the back of her head. She isn't sure if it's something science-y or dumb or something Lisa would like just yet. Though, knowing them, it would probably fall under all of the above.

She sniffs before rubbing her nose, then heading to the fridge to prep for the morning. Soon, the counter has the prerequisites for a full breakfast: eggs, sausages, bread, milk, a container of shredded potatoes, and a bag of oatmeal. 

There were days where they settled for a breakfast burrito or muffin to munch on before classes, so Chaeyoung treasures these opportunities for an actual, home-cooked breakfast close to her heart.

She sets the chopping board a bit of a way's away from the stove and removes some sausages from their container. She peels two cloves of garlic, smashes and finely minces them. As strange as it sounds, the pungent smell of raw garlic fills Chaeyoung with feelings of home. She doesn't always get to prepare mirepoix, what with their busy lives and the convenience of ordering in. It's what it represents, she supposes.

She sets a non-stick on the burner, a bowl on the side, then lets a knob of butter skid across the pan in low heat. The heady scent of melting butter fills the kitchen. When it melts, she cracks four eggs and takes a spatula to the pan. As the eggs set up, she stirs them around, breaking up large curds before they solidify too much. Chaeyoung is an absolute fiend for soft scrambled eggs, takes the pan off the heat to season them with salt and pepper. She gives it one last cursory stir before pouring them in the awaiting bowl.

Scrambled eggs, done. She wipes off the last of the eggs with a paper towel before drizzling the pan with a bit of oil. The oil sizzles from the residual heat, so she takes the time to score lines into the sausages and set another plate to the side of the stove. She turns up the heat to medium, oil bubbling up before she lets the sausages on the pan. The wonderful scent of fat, garlic, and assorted spices in the pork starts to perfume the air.