Chapter 173

Mulai dari awal

Shao Yu really wanted to go back with Xu Ran. He had lived in Xu Village for many years and was familiar with the people, so he must have missed it. Besides, he had never been regarded as a servant by the Xu family.

Gao Quan, on the other hand, was King Yan's last subordinate and belonged to him. It didn't matter that he hadn't returned to King Yan's Mansion. It made a difference now that he was here. Xu Ran recognized this, thus he did not force Gao Quan to return. He even advised Gao Quan adopt a child in secret. Shao Yu had not gotten pregnant again since the loss of their previous child. They would be lying if they stated they didn't care.

Gao Quan nodded without saying anything. He must have taken Xu Ran's advice.

In February of this year, the Xu family left for Xu Village from Yanzhou.

King Yan had intended to arrange for them to be escorted, but Xu Ran had declined. It would be a lengthy voyage, and they could have to travel for the remainder of the year. It just wasn't worth it. They wouldn't brag about themselves. They'd drive two carriages and skip all the superfluous formalities. Tangtang was also improving in martial arts, so they didn't have to worry about anything.

King Yan's efforts were to no avail, so he could only agree to Xu Ran. On that day, he personally sent the family out of the city gate.

Xu Ran waved at the crowd. After all, they had been living here for five years, and he was reluctant to leave.

The return voyage took them one month shorter than the previous one. The new Emperor had done an excellent job of running the country, and everything was calm. Because there were fewer bandits looting outside, they arrived at Xu Village without incident. When they came in from the opposite end of the village and saw the familiar scene, it seemed like another life for them. It had been a long time since they had left this place.

As soon as June arrived, everything turned green. Only the leaves remained after the strawberries in the field had been plucked. The corn in the field was also growing, as if it didn't mind the scorching sun at all. 

The orchard's fruit plants were also flourishing. Ripe apricots and green peaches were available. The fruits covered the branches as the birds joyously hopped from one tree to the next.

In the distance, smoke came out of the black-brick house. It was noon now, and someone must be preparing lunch.

The bamboo house nearby appeared dilapidated because it had gone through so much wind and rain. Just like an old man, it would collapse at any time.

Watching the bamboo house, Xu Ran sighed, "That's our first home. In the blink of an eye, it has been over ten years."

Aside from Baozi, both Liu Tong and Tangtang remembered their time in the bamboo hut. Years had passed, yet the only thing that had remained constant were their memories.

"Giddyap!" Xu Ran didn't feel more anxious when getting closer to his house. He sped up and the horse ran towards the black-brick house.

When the carriage came to a halt, the door creaked open from within. From within, a lovely adolescent poked his head out. When he noticed the carriage parked outside the door, he covered his lips in amazement. The teenager appeared to be more astonished when he noticed the others in the carriage plainly.

"Qingshu, you have grown up!"

"Uncle Xu!" Qingshu exclaimed, and then shouted at the inside of the house, "Dad, Daddy, Uncle Xu and his family are back."

Soon, the sound of footsteps came out from inside. Qin Shuwen's eyes turned red the moment he saw the carriage outside the door.

Smiling, Xu Ran stared at them and said, "We're back."