Chapter 162

Xu Ran spent nearly the whole afternoon with the two children, telling them stories and teaching them how to use the Thirty-six Stratagems. Then he sat and listened to the two of them bicker for a while, even though it was now evening. Red Mansion closed early today because Tangtang and Guoguo were returned. Gao Quan and Shao Yu arrived early as well.

When the father and his two sons came out of the house, they saw Baozi squatting down at the door alone, his chin on his hands.

Xu Ran walked up to him and asked, "Baozi, what's wrong with you? It's so cold. Why are you squatting outside the door?"

Baozi stretched out his hands for Xu Ran's hug. Xu Ran held Baozi up and heard him saying, "I was waiting for you to come out. Daddy said that you had something to say to my brothers, so he asked me not to go in and disturb you. That's why I was waiting at the door."

Baozi looked innocent. Xu Ran touched his hands and found them cold. He asked him, "Did Daddy ask you to wait at the door? How long have you been waiting here?"

Seeing that Xu Ran seemed to be angry, Baozi told everything. But even if he had told the truth, Xu Ran didn't let him off. He smacked Baozi on the buttock. "It's been a long time since I last taught you a lesson, right? Do you still remember the feeling of catching a cold on our way here? Do you want to try it again?"

Although Xu Ran was giving Baozi a lesson, Baozi didn't actually cry. Instead, he should be talking back, "Why are you getting mad at me? You're clearly the wrong one. The moment my brothers got back, you've stopped talking to me. You guys haven't spoken to me for the whole afternoon. I just wanted to be the first one you would see when you come out, so I've been waiting here."

Baozi said in a righteous manner, but it sounded a little pitiful. He probably felt that he had been neglected, so he had been waiting at the door.

Seeing Baozi staring at him with eyes wide open and looking unconvinced, Xu Ran felt a little guilty instead, because he scolded Baozi without asking why.

Xu Ran stroked Baozi's face and apologized to him, "Baozi, Dad's wrong. Dad should have asked you the reason before scolding you. I apologize to you. Could you forgive Dad?"

Baozi's eyes turned red immediately when he heard Xu Ran's apology. He pounded Xu Ran's shoulder gently with his tiny hands and complained, "Dad is bad. You scolded me without knowing the cause. I've put on a lot of clothes and won't catch a cold. I just want to see you as soon as possible."

Xu Ran held Baozi's hands and coaxed, "Okay, it's Dad's fault. From now on, Dad will ask Baozi the reason before talking, alright?"

Baozi looked at Xu Ran with red eyes, as if he was asking Xu Ran if he was being serious.

Xu Ran nodded sincerely and promised, "I mean it. Don't you believe Dad's words? But Baozi, you have also done something wrong today. You could have just knocked the door if you missed us. Dad would open the door for you and let you in. Even if you don't want to come in, you should wait inside the room. You can't wait outside here. Do you understand?"

Baozi pondered his thoughts. He'd been crouching here for about 30 minutes. While the frigid wind blew from time to time, there was no place for him to sit down. Yan Lan had returned while Daddy was busy cooking in the kitchen. Baozi had felt aggrieved because he couldn't communicate to anyone. Now that Baozi had heard Xu Ran's words, he unwillingly nodded.

However, Xu Ran lectured him and had him make a promise. After that, Xu Ran asked Tangtang and Guoguo to play with Baozi, while he went to the kitchen himself.

Baozi was overjoyed to be able to play with his two brothers now that Xu Ran had left. However, when he turned around, he noticed that they were giving him a thoughtful look. Baozi felt a cold creep up his spine and he wanted to flee, but he could never run as fast as Tangtang or Guoguo. Baozi was snatched up and brought into the home before he could move. During the process, Baozi didn't dare to say anything.