Chapter 36

When Wu Mei and his companions discovered that Xu Ran's pack basket was empty, they didn't ask any questions. Xu Ran must have friends in town because he came here often, so it was natural for him to send them a few gifts. Besides, that was the extra cash Xu Ran had brought with him.

"How is the business going?" Xu Ran approached them and asked.

Wu Mei smiled and said, "It's not bad. Many of the people who bought yesterday came back to buy again, and they also brought some friends with them. Xu Ran, you're a genius. You could even consider such a method."

"Yes, yes!" Wu Lan and Liu Qing echoed.

The job was not tiring, but it was much faster to make money than living off the land.

Someone came to make a transaction after they had just exchanged a few sentences. Xu Ran then saw Wu Mei welcoming the customer and knew there was little he could do. More importantly, if a man like him remained with the three Ge'ers, it was convenient for others to gossip. As a result, Xu Ran picked up some chestnuts from where they were storing them and put them in his pack basket. Xu Ran didn't say anything to Wu Mei until he ended his business "I'll offer these chestnuts to others, Wu Mei. Just two more bags of fried chestnuts for me, please." He was about to pass the prepared money in his hand to him as he spoke.

Wu Mei gave him two bags of fried chestnuts but didn't even look at the money in his hand. "Done. Just go! As for the money, how could I accept a friend's money? It would be unpleasant to have others know!"

Xu Ran scratched his head with embarrassment. "But I'm going to give them to others, after all.

It is different from the situation that I eat them myself. Just take the money! Otherwise, you won't be able to verify your accounting records when you do it at night."

Wu Mei was also adamant about not accepting it. "There is no such thing as accurately checking accounting records. It's a small collection of products. Only treat them as if they were something we ate ourselves, okay? Don't even consider it. Simply leave! Please don't make me miss out on any of my business opportunities "As he pulled Xu Ran away, Wu Mei said.

Xu Ran thought it was unacceptable to say anything more now that someone had come to purchase the fried chestnuts. As a result, he set out with the chestnuts in his side and a pack basket slung over his shoulder. Zhuo Yun's shop was where Xu Ran planned to go because he wanted to give Zhuo Xun some chestnuts.

But it happened that Zhuo Yun was not in the shop today. After Xu Ran left his gift and was about to leave, the shopkeeper stopped him and said, "Mr. Xu! Please wait a while. My master said that if you come, I shall go and ask him to come back. Please go into the room and sit there for a while. I'll be back soon."

The shopkeeper had left in a rush before Xu Ran could say something, even without asking someone to help him watch the shop. Xu Ran stood at the entrance, speechless. When he saw no one coming in, he went to get a stool and sat down.

The shopkeeper reappeared shortly after, accompanied by Zhuo Yun. When Zhuo Yun first saw Xu Ran, he saluted him with his fists and said, "Xu, Brother! I owe you a debt of gratitude for the chili paste you gave the last time. I'm curious if there are any more in your family. Why don't you sell any to me?"

Xu Ran rose to his feet and said, "Mr. Zhuo, you're so courteous. It's just home-made chili paste. It's not worth anything. I'll bring you some when I come next time."

Xu Ran was about to be led inside by Zhuo Yun. When they arrived at the door, he noticed the two paper bags on the counter and the chestnuts in Xu Ran's pack basket. "Are there chestnuts in it, Brother Xu?" he asked, referring to the pack basket.