Chapter 99

Liu Tong worriedly inquired of Xu Ran, "Is it necessary for us to reconsider purchasing the mountain, Ran? Apart from the fact that we don't have much money, purchasing the mountain is not a good idea even if we have. There has never been anyone in the village who has ever purchased a mountain."

Seeing Liu Tong's adorable troubled expression, Xu Ran couldn't help but pinch the tip of his nose and say, "This isn't about whether someone has done it before, Tongtong. It's a question of whether or not this can be done. If it's possible, I'll buy it right now. If we can't, we'll have to come up with another plan."

In fact, Liu Tong was baffled as to why Xu Ran was so adamant about cultivating fruits. He thought farming was beneficial as well!

Liu Tong asked after thinking about this.

Xu Ran said with a smile, "We won't be able to make much money from farming, Tongtong, and you'll be exhausted from digging the food out of the dirt. We still have children to raise in addition to ourselves. Isn't it true that if we want to provide children a better life, we need to make more money? Look at how much Tangtang enjoys studying; he could one day be a member of the imperial court. It is also quite costly to study. We can't let Tangtang quit studying because we don't have money, right?"

"Guoguo also enjoys practicing martial arts. Gao Quan's kung fu is unknown to me. I'll have to ask someone else to teach Guoguo if he isn't good enough. Isn't this also going to cost money?"

"Our Baozi, on the other hand, is a Ge'er. He, like Qin Shuwen, should have lived comfortably since boyhood. We'll have to save a lot of dowries for him. Not only that, but we also have to look after Mr. Hu as he grows older..."

Xu Ran listed a number of reasons why they required money; Liu Tong considered it and concluded that they did really require a large sum of money...

He looked at Xu Ran bitterly, "Ran, how long is it going to take to earn so much money?"

Xu Ran spread his hands, "I don't know either, that's why I want to buy mountains and grow fruits!"

"But Ran, why does it have to be fruits?" Liu Tong asked in confusion.

Xu Ran rubbed his own nose and said embarrassedly, "Either you have to be a greedy government official or you have to run business to earn money quickly. But I'm not qualified to be a government official, and I have no commercial experience. I can't think of any other options. Consider the strawberries we grew last year. Wasn't it a smash hit? We'd only have to work for a few months a year if we grew some other fruits, and then we'd be able to sell them for profit."

"But we still need so many farmlands and fields. What should we do?" Liu Tong hesitated.

Xu Ran said, "In the farmlands, we will continue to grow strawberries. Aside from planting certain vegetables, the majority of the fields will be used to cultivate corn and potatoes. From following year on, we won't have to grow anything else. We won't be able to care for all of the vegetables if we plant too many."

Xu Ran had already devised a rough plan. He only intended to cultivate some fruits and vegetables, as well as cultivate potatoes and maize. The remainder of the mountain products were merely for the purpose of making some more money. They may just leave it if they were too busy.

He may contact a caravan and have the caravan assist him in selling the wheelbarrow that would be sold next year. He could just wait to get his hands on the money.

And he could sell the chess sets the same way.

Xu Ran thought about it and told Liu Tong about his plan to start a deli with Qin Shuwu next year.