Chapter 122

The Cause Of Death

The individuals who went to summon the village chief quickly returned. They shouted to the onlookers, "The village chief has arrived. The village chief has arrived."

The villagers turned to this side and saw a middle-aged man approaching them.

"Village chief," these people greeted him right away.

Mr. Hu's bedside was approached by the village chief, who just nodded. He didn't even move the body. It was, after all, rotten and couldn't be touched.

After the village chief checked Mr. Hu's body, he turned to Xu Ran, "Who are you? Why did you come to our village?"

Xu Ran cupped his hands to the village chief, "My name is Xu Ran. I'm from Lingshui Town's Xu Village. I came to your town in order to purchase some fruit plants. I came to see Mr. Hu, by the way. Last year, he stayed at my place, and before the Spring Festival, he indicated that his son would urge him to return home and enjoy his life. As a result, I brought him to his home. I wanted to pay him a visit today. But no one in the village had ever seen him. I thought it was strange and went over to check. You can question these villagers about it, village chief. They've been with me since I first arrived in the village."

After hearing Xu Ran's description, the village chief turned to face the group of people who had gathered behind him. They were from the village, and they were kind people.

The village chief asked the people behind Xu Ran, "Is that the case?"

Xu Ran also turned around and looked at those people. One of them nodded, "That's the case. He has been with us ever since he came to the village."

From what the several villagers had proved, the village chief believed Xu Ran's words and at seeing the door bolt in his hand, he asked, "What's that in your hand?"

Xu Ran raised his hand, "Well, The door bolt that was removed from the door is shown here. Look, there's a missing component in the bolt, village chief. It just so happens to be the right size for the item in Mr. Hu's hand. As a result, we doubt that Mr. Hu was murdered. The blood at the door and the half-cut piece of wood in his palm reveal this."

The village chief replied, "We now know that a murder has occurred in the village. After all, you're an outsider, therefore you'll have to stay in the village for the time being! I'll have someone report it to the Yamen, and you'll be free to go after the investigation is over."

With that, the village chief requested that someone go to Yamen to report on the case.

Xu Ran was completely unconcerned with the arrangement. He was going to say anything when he realized he had left Liu Tong and the carriage at the village's entrance.

Xu Ran thus said to the village head, "My spouse, the village chief, is still stationed at the village's gate. Is it okay if I go ahead and inform him about the situation? Besides, it's OK for me to stay, but I'm wondering if you might help us in finding a home. We've been on the road for a few days and haven't eaten a hot meal yet."

Actually, the village chief had considered this issue as well. He understood the two newcomers would have to find a place to reside if they wanted to stay in the community. Mr. Hu's residence was currently unavailable. Clearly, the food and lodging for these two visitors in the village was an issue.

He, after all, was the one who persuaded them to stay. The village chief was aware of the people's predicament, so he paused for a while before saying, "If you don't mind, please stay at my house. I still have a room available for you."