Chapter 29

Before collecting all of the chilies on the mountain, they had been working for four days. Xu Ran didn't have to think about the chilies rotting because it would be winter soon. They couldn't go out comfortably simply because of the cold weather. They could make chili paste at home if they wanted to. At the same time, Xu Ran comforted himself that this place was so poor that there were no entertainment programs.

In addition, they had picked not only chilies but also all the potatoes and garlic in the area, as well as the wild pears on the trees, in the previous four days. Xu Ran was also fortunate enough to obtain a Ganoderma stalk, which made him so happy that he leapt to his feet. (Ganoderma: is a kind of fungus that has long been used as a folk remedy in Asian countries to promote health and longevity. One of the most well-known medicinal species is Ganoderma, also known as Lingzhi.)

For them, this was a bountiful harvest. However, problems arose. It was very difficult for just two of them to transport all of the harvests home because there were so many.

They were unable to call for help. A small trifle will be known by all the villagers in less than a meal's time in this village. It would be more difficult for them to return to the mountain if the villagers knew about them. Seeing the sullen look on Xu Ran's face, Liu Tong walked over to hug him, "Ran, I can move all of them. By moving back and forth a few times, I can get everything back."

"No, you are a Ge'er. How can I let you do such a heavy job? I will share the task with you, but I've thought of a good way. We won't have to work so hard when it is made," said Xu Ran with a smile.

Liu Tong had no idea who Xu Ran had been until he turned into a fool. But he knew that once Xu Ran was well again, he could still come up with some strange but useful inventions. Liu Tong thought it was a shame that Xu Ran was a fool during those years, since he would have passed the imperial exams at the provincial level if he hadn't been a fool.

But how could he, Liu Tong, marry him if he wasn't a fool? While being a fool was unfortunate for Xu Ran, Liu Tong saw it as a blessing in disguise. In either case, Liu Tong was conflicted. (He means that he has no idea how to feel because Xu Ran has been a fool, and if he wasn't, he would not have married him.)

Both Xu Ran and Liu Tong were so excited after hearing about Xu Ran's handcart design that they immediately went to cut wood. They brought tools with them for a variety of reasons, one of which was ease, and the other was fear of wild animals, so they could have a weapon for self-defense.

Wu Mei and other friends gave them the axes and hoes in their house. Since these tools were rarely used, Xu Ran did not invest in new ones. Xu Ran realized that these tools needed to be replaced after seeing Liu Tong attempt but fail to cut down the tree.

Liu Tong just cut down two trees after a half-day of hard work. Even though the trees were small, they were sufficient for a handcart. In modern times, the modern handcart can be seen everywhere, but it was probably not common in this era. After all, it was still a long way off.

Not only could Liu Tong cut stones, but he could also carpenter. He was extremely adaptable. Xu Ran stood by the side of the line, directing the production. They were able to create a basic product after a day of hard work. The wheel was the key issue. It was difficult to complete without the use of tools.

When Xu Ran attempted to push the handcart, he discovered that the wheels could actually roll. He then requested that Liu Tong place a bag of chilies on top of it. He moved it for a few steps and discovered that it was possible. Xu Ran exhaled a sigh of relief.

The handcart may be used despite its unattractive appearance. This cart was the catalyst for Xu Ran's sudden inspiration to make a fortune. He remembered a carpenter named Xu An. He assumed that if this type of cart could be manufactured in large quantities and then sold, they could make a lot of money. It was getting late, so they decided to spend one night on the mountain before heading back tomorrow.