CHAPTER TWENTY

“We made it,” said Niru leaning against the wall.

 “Niru! What happened?” asked Ritana rushing toward him.

 The little dog started barking at Ritana.

  “Come,” said Ritana helping him inside the grey building.

“Beans” Niru kept saying.

 “Shhh, I’ll take of you,” said Ritana closing the huge steel door behind her.

The huge portraits on the dark endless hallway caught Niru’s eyes.

 He was certain that most of them he had seen them somewhere in his past life, especially the one hanged on his left near the world map.

 “Hang on Niru,” Ritana kept saying between her teeth.

 The gas lamp on her hand shone mostly on it, the portrait of Jesus being crucified on the cross which was hanged on his left near a world map. That was when he recalled one of the many necklaces on the enormous man’s neck.

 Twelve o’clock midnight staring eye to eye with his crocodile eyes. He had been gambling with him in the Octo-casino six years ago.

“Sir Python likes to thank you for agreeing to accept his challenge Mighty Rooster,” the short fat pale man had said. “Especially in the late hours which no man escape.”

It was clear that he was the enormous men’s advocate, a scary looking advocate if you must know. There was something in humane about the both of them, especially those crocodile eye’s which made Niru’s heart beat fast.

“Mighty Rooster never begs down from any challenge thrown at him because he’s the best,” Jeff had said out of boast. “So be prepared to nurse your master’s pain after the Mighty Rooster is done with him.”

After the last sentence Jeff had said Niru felt his whole body go cold and knew something was wrong but driven by pride he went ahead with the games.

“We are here,” said Ritana placing him on a chair. “Tell me if you feel like sleeping.”

 “The Mighty Rooster is going nowhere,” he said without thinking.

 Ritana came back with some cotton wools, plasters, methyl spirit, and warm water in a bowl then started nursing the bruises on his face.

 The little dog kept rubbing itself on his legs.

 “Not now Beans,” he said kicking it away from him.

“You know Niru for someone to change its take hard work,” said Ritana putting a plaster on his bruises. “It’s needs a person to forget his past friends, events and names in order to start afresh because if the old memories are never erased that person will never change.”

Niru just reached in his coat’s pocket and came out with the diamond necklace he had stolen from the black haired woman in the traffic light.

 “It will look good on you,” he said handing it to her. Ritana glared at him.

 “Go ahead, take it.”

She slowly took it from his hands still with her green eyes on Niru.

 “You do know getting me gift will not make me forget,” she said looking at the necklace.

“Its beautiful right?” asked Niru in effort to change the subject.

“Damn it Niru! Are you going to keep ignoring this topic?” snapped Ritana pushing him away from her.

Niru started groaning while leaning against the wall with his hand on the side of his stomach.

“Great more tactics to avoid this talk