CHAPTER NINE

The ‘meowing’ sounds of cats running around their tents was what kept Niru awake.

“You are still awake?” asked Ace looking up at him.

“I used to gamble in the South part of Neon City, and I was really good at it,” Niru said out of the blue still with his eyes focused on the drops of rain dripping down from the tent’s roof onto the floor. “The Mighty Rooster was the name I was given by the other players and damn those days were good.”

The cold wind whooshed through the small holes on the wall of the tent causing Ace to pull his blanket over his bony shoulders.

“No man left the table with their money if Rooster was there,” said Niru with a little laughter which quickly disappeared. “I was basically the king of pokers but...but all that faded in one night a night I regret even till this day.”

Instead of asking more questions Ace was quiet still with his eyes focused on his friend who had gone cold.

“Cold, dark Crocodile eyes, Tattoo of a pyramid on his left hand and a lot and I mean a lot of religious necklaces around his neck. Rita warned me but...but I never listened” his voice sounded shaky.

He had gone tense and cold at the same time without him realizing it. He slowly reached his hand inside his coat. “Damn I’m out of stock.”

The sudden huge bang from outside got Niru up.

“I’ll be back,” he said.

"Niru..."

"Just stay in here Ace, I will be back," crawling out while tightening his scarf around his neck.

It was dark and cold like every winter night.

“It’s was probably those stupid cats,” he said between his teeth looking around.

Shadows raced down the walls as his eyes rapidly followed them. He was immediately taken back six years ago running down the lonely Y-4 street in the South part of Neon City with Jeff who was gasping for air.

“Run faster,” he had yelled watching the huge shadows carrying axes on the walls of red old buildings.

They were clearly catching up to them.

“I’m trying,” Jeff had yelled back throwing the big red bag at him which he had caught.

The barking of the dogs had caused his heart to pump even faster.

“We’ve got to get out of here dude!” Jeff had yelled.

 The shadows on the walls had now disappeared.

“We lost them!” Jeff had yelled in joy but when they had turned the corner of the Star Café the huge shadows had reappeared.

“Dude these things are back!” Jeff had yelled again in a more terrified voice.

 They had run into the crowded Ten street in hope to lose them.

“Move out of the way!” he had yelled pushing people out of his way.

The people had watched the two men running up and down the street of Neon City for no reason in bloody clothes.

 “The bag! Throw away the bag!” Jeff had yelled. “They are after the bag!”

“We’ll lose them,” Niru had yelled back running down the abandoned subway station.

“Jeff!” he had yelled but Jeff was nowhere to be seen.

It was just him and the darkness now.

 “Damn it! Where could this guy be?” he had said between his teeth while wiping off the sweat from his forehead.

  He had placed down the red bag looking around. Clear like crystal, there was no one. There he had opened it. Russian dolls with pyramids drawn with blood on their faces had appeared in the bag.

No, no, no, it’s can’t be,” he had said between his teeth in disbelieve.

 After that sentence the dim lights  had started flittering. Shaken by fear he had thrown the bag down while breathing fast. The sound of footsteps approaching had caught his ear and that had caused him to start running for his life. The huge shadows carrying axes had suddenly appeared before him causing his whole life to be nothing but pain.

 By the time he was back to the real world he was on his knees and his heart’s muscles were painfully contracting. The clock tower chimmed midnight. Strangely he could hear it in his head causing him to hold his head with both his hands which trembled terribly. 

  The corner of his eyes had caught sight of the shadow before him. Slowly and carefully his eyes lifted up. “Ni...Nina what are you doing here?” he struggled to talk still staring at the young woman drenched in rain, who was right before him.

 She didn’t say a word (as usual) only tears flooded down her pale cheeks.

Author's Note

Left u in a cliffhanger there😁

Enjoying?💜