CHAPTER FIVE

The cold water splashed on the two street men was what got them moving for their lives.

 “Stay away! And never sleep here you pest!” yelled the fat woman wearing a plastic apron.

“Wait up!” yelled Niru holding his back which was aching. “Are you okay?” asked Ace between gasps while stopping his wheelchair.

 “Yeah I’m fine,” replied Niru panting like a dog. “Come let’s go look for a new spot.”

“Yeah, you right” said Ace following Niru who was taking off his wet coat.

They walked up the crowded Circle Street.

 “I hate winter. It’s always grey and cold,” said Ace sounding upset.

Niru let out a snigger. "Why laugh Niru?" Ace asked turning to face Niru.

“It’s just that it's crazy because your girlfriend happens to be what you just said you hate,” replied Niru washing his bloody face on the water sprouting which was at the middle of Circle street.

The gazillion people passing by gave him an unpleasant look. “Leave Nina out of this,” Ace barked. “Anyway, Nina is like spring not to hot or cold just perfect.”

“Oh really? What do you call a woman with grey eyes, black hair, wears a grey oversize sweater, always quiet, never talked, never laughed and always in the shadows watching over you?” asked Niru wiping his face with his bloody shirt. “What a spring she is.”

“Fine she might be grey but she’s definitely not cold,” said Ace drinking the sprouting water.

“I’m sure she isn’t,” Niru sarcastically said, leading the way up the busy street.

 “So, tell me Niru why did that huge man attacked us?” asked Ace following him.

For some reason there was awkward silence from Niru.  "Niru..." Ace tried to talk.

“We should go to the east and probably we will find an unoccupied spot in the east,” Niru cut him short. His eyes filled with guilt.

“Yeah, I guess you are right,” replied Ace. “Anyway, it will be closer to Nina’s spot.”

The traffic light before them turned red. The young woman beside them covered her nose which had turned red.

 “So Niru tell me how you met Ri something?” asked Ace.

 “Ohh you mean Rita the red-haired woman?” asked Niru. “Well I knew her by her father if that what you were asking?”

“I thought you didn’t know her name,” said Ace secretly taking a wallet from a fat man’s pocket who was in front of them and putting it underneath his blanket.

 “Did I say that? Well I might have been drunk if I really did say that,” said Niru secretly putting his hand inside a woman’s hand bag which looked expensive.

“What do you mean when you say really,” asked Ace using his hand as invented commas to emphasize the word ‘really’. “You know what, forget it just carry on with your story.”

“As I was saying...” said Niru giving Ace an unpleasant look. “You know, it’s a very long story.”

The traffic light turned green allowing the people to move. Niru quickly pulled his hand out from the woman’s handbag coming out with a hand watch which he kept in his tightly folded hand.

“We’ve got all day, so go ahead tell me,” replied Ace.

 “Nah, I’ve got no energy to talk,” explained Niru. “How about you tell me about how you met your girlfriend?”