CHAPTER FOUR

The few rats fighting for the decaying scrap of meet thrown in the smelly garbage bin beside him, caught Niru’s attention. They somehow reminded him of the pub. The fighting, the cheering and the liquor.

His eyes quickly caught sight of the exit beside them. The cold steam from it made it easy for him to know it was the butchery’s exit which only the employees used.

 “Niru are you still there?” asked Ace in panic.

“I’m not dead damn it” snapped Niru. “You should be getting me a beer rather than staring at me like a vulture waiting for a wounded animal to die.”

Ace slid his hands inside his blanket and retrieved a beer then handed it to Niru who drank it all in just a second.

“Why do you drink this much?” asked Ace.

“To stop my pain, the pain that always haunts me,” replied Niru, his voice sounding raspy.

“But does that pain stop if you drink?” asked Ace pulling his blanket over his shoulders.

“Partly, it does but when the alcohol in my body warns off the pain comes back even more painful than ever,” replied Niru with a little laughter. “I’m practically drinking myself to more pain.”

“Why don’t you stop?” asked Ace looking concerned.

The truck in the distance with flittering lights caught Niru’s eyes.

 “I hate trucks,” he said. “They somehow scare me but I guess it’s their loud sound.”

“Why don’t you stop drinking Mr. Renken?” Ace asked again.

 “I can’t stop,” replied Niru looking at the empty bottle in his hand. “If I stop, well I’ll feel my pain raw.”

“So, you want to feel your pain with an additional pain in it?” asked Ace.

“Tonight, there is a full moon,” said Niru looking at the full moon above them. “I was also born in a night where the full moon rulled the sky."

A short laughter left his bloody lips. " I’m guessing you were born in a night where the half moon ruled considering...well you little.”

“Niru you still haven’t answered my question,” said Ace, after that question there was no response from Niru. Ace slowly moved his finger toward Niru’s bloody nose. “The Mighty Rooster is going nowhere, not yet. So, you can stop moving your smelly fingers around my nose and sleep Ace.”

“I guess so,” Ace slowly said pulling the blanket over his head with a smile on his face. “I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

 “I guess,” replied Niru in a low voice which was hard for a human ear to hear.

 He still had his eyes focused on the truck in the distance. The front door of the truck suddenly opened letting out an old man. There was something odd about his body. It somehow looked fake, it looked as if it had been inserted rather than born with it.  In fact that body was way too muscular to belong to an old man even if he was a body builder. He reminded him of a doll.

Before he knew it, a black man appeared from nowhere carrying a black gym bag. They stood there facing each other for about a minute. Niru could see their mouths moving but wasn’t able to grasp any of the words they took out. It was clear that they were discussing something very important.

After their long talk the old man walked toward the back part of his truck and opened it. He then started pulling out few huge bags which looked heavy and showed them to the black man. The black man looked through the few bags as if he was inspecting them before he took them.

 Niru noticed the black man’s mouth moving before handing the black gym bag to the old man who also inspected it before taking it.

 Without warning the black man had disappeared in the shadows of the night and the old man was already making his trunk engine rumble.

Niru had just witnessed an exchange of some secret parcels, he was sure he would get in trouble if whoever were involve in this dark sinister event, might find out that he was able to witness it.

 He pulled his coat up his face as the truck drove past them. For no reason his hands started trembling and that wasn’t a good sign especially after what he had just seen with his naked eyes.

Mysterious things did happen around the streets of Neon City and this was one of them. He then took a glance at Ace who was half asleep near him as he also closed his eyes hoping to forget what he had seen.

Author's Note

Another chapter that made me think fir hours inorder to give it best visuals😁

Do you have any favourite Characters yet? Who are they? 🌸