chapter 16 - the masquerade continued

Start from the beginning

"Wow that's amazing for her. I have business in Australia so I'll be staying there for a week or so but maybe I'll come to Paris to see you."

"That's lovely. You definitely should come to Paris after. I'll be wrapping up my mother's show but after that I could show you around."

A loud bell rang through the grand room and almost at once everyone's cutlery dropped to their plates.

"Dinner has finished. If you could make your way to the ballroom that would be appreciated," a small stoutly man announced.

Everyone rose and promptly shuffled into the ballroom where Marissa and her husband, Blake, stood.

"I would like to firstly just thank all of you for coming here to celebrate Blake and I's 25th wedding anniversary. Tonight has gone wonderfully and I love that you all were able to share in this special moment," she turned to Blake and continued, "Blake, I've loved you for the past 30 years and I will keep loving you till the day I die. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me and I'm so lucky to be your wife. Together we've had 3 beautiful children and a company that has grown exponentially, I cannot wait for what the future holds for us. I love you and will always love you."

And with that she gave Blake a kiss. Clapping and cheers erupted from around the room. I couldn't help but wishfully think about how this was the way my life was supposed to go.

I wanted the anniversaries.
I wanted the children.
I wanted the love.

And I'll never get that now.

Blake gave a speech as well and soon it was time to announce the best dressed and they would have a dance in the centre of the room next to the anniversary couple.

"Alright guys, the votes have been casted and the winners are .... Alaric Ellington and Katerina Soldano Morales. Would you please make your way up to the centre."

What? I won? Oh bloody hell, now I have to dance in front of everyone with Alaric Ellington? Who is that? Oh, ok, well he isn't too hard on the eyes which is nice.

Alaric was a man 6 feet tall with black eyes and was wearing a 3 piece silver suit. He flashed me a warm smile as he took hold of my waist. I looked over his shoulder and saw Dante shooting daggers at me. Since he was watching might as well make it fun for myself.

"I don't think I've ever seen you before. I'm Katerina Soldano. Owner of Argent Corps."

"My name is Alaric Ellington, owner of Giolde Hotels. I really am sorry about this situation, I heard that you were married and I feel as though I'm overstepping."

"Trust me, it's fine," I said warmly, "Giolde has been up for quite a while, right?"

"Yeah, earlier this year we had our 50th anniversary. I received the company from my mother 4 years ago."

"I stayed in the hotel in London for a week last year. It was beautiful. I really like that you kept the vintage look."

"I'm glad you appreciate it," he said grinning, "You know I've seen your brother Stefan before. I always go to his gym and sometimes he joins me."

"Well it's been nice to meet you. I hope I'll see you again sometime soon," I said, taking a step back because the dance was finished.

Around 20 minutes after that, the party was coming to a close with everyone going back to their rooms. I walked down the dimly lit corridor and was turning when I felt a hand on my wrist. The person shoved me against a wall and put their arm against my throat.

What the hell is it with people slamming me against a wall. For fucks sake, my head is starting to ache.

"You embarrassed me today you know. I'm not going to forget that. I'll make you mine Katerina. One way or another..." Kurtis said moving into the light.