11. Avyanna, 1863

Shout out to all the 6.667% of UK readers, your support means the world to me, thank you!

667% of UK readers, your support means the world to me, thank you!

Avyanna, March 17, 1863, part 1.

His hands patted my wet cheek, a thin smirk lifted mysteriously, his eyes shone in secrecy, I wondered why the blow was taking time unlike usual. Every day my lord did something to remind me of my worth before the maids address me as their lady, be it a humiliating slap or a forceful grab of the neck in a grip, or a brutal shameless claiming of my body or his spiteful words of shame, my lord never missed a day.

However, today his touch was soft caresses, his smile wasn't wicked as it used to be, instead, there was secrecy in it, my tormentor wiped my stranded tears, running his fingers around the bruise on my forehead which my lord graciously gifted last night with a bang of his teacup. 

"Does this hurt you much, my lady?" My tormentor asked using his sickly sweet tone, the kind he uses to allure his prey into his bed-chamber. 

"Yes, my lord."

"Ask the maids for an ointment, we have a party tonight. The townsfolk will gather for your birthday celebration, Happy Birthday Avyanna!" He wished pleasantly, this will be my first birthday after the marriage, the conjecture on why my lord wanted to celebrate my birthday had my mind whirling.

Maybe my lord really did want to celebrate my birthday, it is our first time after all.

"A celebration? My lord, I wasn't aware of it, the prepario-"

"Shh... my lady," he placed his fingers delicately at my lips, silencing my rant. He continued, "the preparations are all taken care of, just apply some powder to the bruise. Now I have something to take care of," and left the chamber.

I felt a sense of calmness wash through my body, all this time I pondered over my husband's infidelity, though he doesn't feel anything to me but he wanted to celebrate my eighteenth birthday, have arranged a huge party, for me. I regret hating my husband to such a great extinct. 

I left to the washroom in corset, freshened for the day, the maids have splattered petals of roses in the tub, a dress hung on the stand. I went towards it, there was a note with the inscription, 'happy birthday wife' on it, I felt excitement buzz through my aching body, replenishing my yearning heart. 

I scanned the dress, it was a long gold ball-gown, with a beaded waistline, a golden tulle train with trailing tiny shining golden beads, more shiny beads were attached on the silk sweetheart neckline, and a gold pin with diamonds shone amidst the neckline, it would fall just in the middle of my breasts. It was such a magnificent gown and the certitude, that it was my husband's gift, warmed my heart. 

There was more time for the party, I got dressed in one of my everyday attire, a green gown with off-green ruffles on the neck, sleeves, and at the end of the skirt. I roamed the mansion, the workers have been assigned with their works, they decorated the mansion with red roses, lilacs, and lilies, the floral smell wafted in the air. They have hung white and golden curtains, a wholly amount of candles were placed among our living area, where the celebration was usually held.