Chapter Twenty Eight

Xiao Bai had been in the cavern close to five months now.  She kept track of the days by the almost clockwork precision in which the General brought her food and took her blood.  The day after she woke up, the General had released the wards surrounding her but kept on the iron restraints.  He had asked her to sit near the lone table at the center of the cavern where he placed food for her.  As Xiao Bai was eating her morning meal, the General had told her how he would be taking blood from her every morning after breakfast as he needed it for some important thing, not a lot, just a little, he said, but he needed to take some everyday.  Surprised, Xiao Bai had looked at him suspiciously, "Ummm, do you need to drink blood for your sustenance?" Xiao Bai had heard a gory tale from Si Ming before about the Western monsters who drank the blood of mortals.  Maybe he was one of them.  The General look at her oddly, "No, I'm not a vampire."  he said, obviously having heard the same tale. 

"Then why do you need my blood?  Do you need to cleanse someone?"  Xiao Bai knew of the healing power of her blood, that it could cleanse away evil from the spirit of a person.  That's why fox blood was highly sought after.

"Yes! I need to save a lot of people"  the General said shortly, not wanting to explain himself and not wanting to reveal exactly how he was going to use her blood to save all those people. 

"Oh! Are they people important to you?  I'm sorry to hear that they are suffering." she said looking at him with sympathetic eyes.  Xiao Bai knew that there were many malevolent spirits roaming around the immortal realms. There were times when they would take over the body of an Immortal.  Sometimes, if the Immortal was weak, then the spirits will take control of the body permanently.   Maybe he had someone he loved whose body had been taken over by a bad spirit.   "Well, I guess if it can help them, I can give you some of my blood." she had said.  His eyes had widened in surprise at her generosity.  She continually astonished him as he never acted like he expected her to.  "But, I really don't like to feel pain that much so please make it fast."  She quickly gave him one of her ironclad hands and immediately looked away.  As her face was looking in the opposite direction, she didn't see how AnHuier had looked at her proffered hand dumbfoundedly. She didn't notice also how he had only made a tiny pinprick in one of her fingers but didn't take any of her blood.  The exact same thing happened the next day and then the next, and then the next,  and before she knew it, 5 months had past.  Every day, Xiao Bai will offer him her hands and he will prick it and pretend he had taken blood. 

AnHuier did not know what he was doing anymore, his subjugated people and the demons that controlled them far from his mind.  As he spent more time with her, he was only sure of two things: one, he can never give any of the young Queen's blood to those vile beasts and demons as no part of her pureness should touch them and, two, he was in love with her.  The minute she gave him her hands as an act of kindness, he had not been the same.  He created in his mind a perfect picture of her, as if he had brought her here not to kill her but to court her.  He knew that he would do anything for her, anything except allow her to leave him.  He should have known from the start that it was love.  The first time he saw her, he was blinded by her beauty.   But now that he "felt" he knew her better, he became obsessed with the idea of loving her and winning her love.  After three months, he could no longer control his emotions as his obsession with her continued to manifest.  He dismissed all the guards surrounding the cavern as he began to get jealous of them even though they were never in contact with the young Queen. He spent all his time with her now, only leaving at night when she would get up from the table and lie down on her cot clearly dismissing him.  Her mannerism distant and cold.  But to him who was obsessed with her, he felt only that this was part of the traditional dance of courtship.  A show of maidenly virtue and that sooner or later, she will be willing to express her true sentiment, her true love for him.