Chapter Fifteen

"Jiu'er, come in here. Why did you just come now. It's already 7:30. Did you sleep in again?" Feng Jiu's mother said as she spotted Xiao Bai slowly ambling into the hall where all the wedding preparation was being done. She hasn't been in this area before as Donghua had made a different hall for this wedding. She found out the plans from Chonglin right before they travelled to Bihai Cangling. When she protested at the extravagance of constructing a new hall and a new ceremonial ground to hold the wedding when the old one would do, Donghua had been adamant and had put his foot down. "Xiao Bai, I don't want any taint of sadness to mar our wedding day. I know you said, it doesn't matter to you. But it does to me. I want you to feel only happy on the day of the wedding, with no sad memories. Please indulge me it this my love, it would make me happy."

"Why do I have to wake up so early?" Xiao Bai moaned. "The wedding rites aren't until 5 pm, I don't think I need 10 hours to prepare." She really loved her sleep and normally would not be awake till 10 am. When Donghua was waking her up around 6, she told him to go away. By 7, Donghua had had to pick her up from bed and splash water on her face to wake her up. "I'm up, I'm up. I can't believe you just threw water into my face."

"This is your wedding day Jiu'er. The most important event in your lifetime. This is not the time to be childish and be late. Everyone has been up since dawn to make sure everything goes well." Her mother said sternly. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I'm ready now!" Xiao Bai surrendered looking around. Mounds of wedding paraphernalia like lanterns and banners, were littered all over the place. As they walked into the room where her own preparation will be done, she saw her wedding ceremonial gown displayed on the far end of room. It was in a completely different design from the previous one. Also instead of blue, it was in royal purple. She had made no protest when she found out that even the gown had been changed knowing that Donghua will just put his foot down again. But seeing it now, she knew Donghua had made the right decision. The purple reminded her of Donghua as it was the color he usually wore, it was only right that she wore his colors for their wedding.

"Oh good you're here now" Bai Qian said holding several hair pieces against Xiao Bai's face. "I wonder what would look better with the gown?"

"Feng Jiu Jie Jie, Feng Jiu Jie Jie! You're here now! How are you so late? Were you being a lazy bug again like Grandmother said? She told me not to copy you as you're always so lazy!" A'li said as soon as he spotted Feng Jiu. He careened towards Feng Jiu as he went in for a hug.

"A'li, I missed you and you've grown bigger from last time. For your information, I'm not a lazy bug, I'm just more mature now so I have to move around more sedately. Take back what you said about me being lazy or you're not getting any candies." Xiao Bai threatened giving A'li a big hug. She really missed the little imp.

"Everyone settle down. Jiu'er, get into the bath. We need to start as soon as possible. It's so late as it is" Feng Jiu's mother interrupted the reunion. "Bai Qian let's just use the traditional Bais family pearl hair piece, the one inlaid with amethyst stones. That wasn't what was used last time." She said irritably. Clearly, all of them were under strict orders from Donghua not to use anything even remotely connected to the last wedding.   

As Xiao Bai got into the bath tub, she saw the matrons of her family approach her.  All of them were carrying baskets filled with incense, petals and perfumes.  Xiao Bai groaned inwardly, recalling the purifying ritual from last time that took almost an hour.  By the time Xiao Bai got out of the bath, the water was cold and her skin was all wrinkly.  She wondered if she should say something about not needing to do this again.  It's not as if she's marrying another man.  Xiao Bai started to get up, but before she could say something, she saw her mother giving her the death glare.  Xiao Bai obediently sat back down in the tub.    The wedding rituals have begun.