Chapter XXXIV: Gunshots

Skylar

I sprinted through the woods hearing more gunshots, Kaya gripping tight onto my furr shaking out of fright.

"Love are you okay? " I asked Jake not looking back since that would've slowed me down. "I'm fine, just keep going. We're almost there come on" He replied and before I could say anything another gunshot was heard, this time way closer to us and seconds later I could feel a sting on the top of my left front leg but no blood. That made me panic.

"Jake?! " I pannicked. I could hear soft whines escaping his mouth but he kept going, now running next to me. "Hey, it's gonna be fine.. It's gonna be fine we're almost there" I tried reassuring him, he just shot me a painful look. "Mommy.. What's going on? " I heard Kaya's frightened voice. It broke my heart to not be able to answer her but I didn't have a choice. The only thing I could do was let out a soft little bark kind of noise to reassure her that everything was going to be fine.

We continued running for 10 minuts when we finally got to the border of the protected area of the forest where it was strictly forbidden to hunt and fish. It was separated by a fence that normally was easy to jump for both Jake and I but with him injured I wasn't so sure.

When we got to the fence I stopped in my tracks, waiting for Jake to jump before I got through. "What are you doing? Keep going I'll be fine" He told me. "You get over the fence, then I'll keep going" I replied making him look at me with slight concern.

He then walked a bit back and started running, then jumping over the fence, landing on his front paws first causing him to let out a loud whine of pain collapsing to the ground as I felt a killing pain going up my front leg. I chose to ignore it and jumped over the fence as quickly as possible after having made sure Kaya was holding on well.

As soon as I got over I pushed Jake back onto his four legs. "Come on Jake, please, we're almost there" I cried out. As if that gave him a boost of energy he got back on his feet and started running again, me trailing behind him with Kaya still shaking on my back.

The moment we got to the little cottagcore house Jake shifted back into his human form and collapsed to the ground. I quickly lowered myself to the ground so Kaya could get down and when she did I immediately turned back into my human form myself, picked Kaya up to give her some kind of comfort and ran to his side.

"Jake, Jake stay with me, please stay with me" I cried out, laying his head and shoulders on my lap as Kaya sat right next to me, her still shaking body pressed to mine causing me to wrap an arm around her. He groaned in pain as he tried to sit up so I held him down with my free hand. "Don't, it's okay, just stay like that for a second, I got you" I whispered a single tear rolling down my cheek. "Hey it's okay, I'll be fine" He said noticing it.

"I know, I know you will.... I just need to clean it. Kaya sweetie, could you get a wet towel for me? " I asked Kaya, she nodded quickly, slipped out of my embrace and ran into the house. Few minutes later she ran out the house, a soaked piece of fabric in her hand. "I couldn't find a towel " She told me, a bit of guilt in her voice. "No it's fine, it's fine, it's perfect baby don't worry" I told her with a smile. She just nodded and handed me the piece of fabric.

I carefully pulled the shoulder of Jake's shirt down to reveal a shot wound on the top of his shoulder but the bullet went right through since it wasn't in there. "Shit" I whispered as I saw all the blood that covered his shoulder. I carefully pressed the wet piece of fabric on his wound to stop the bleeding making him hiss out of pain. "Sorry" I murmured softly, my voice breaking. "Don't apologize, it's okay" He replied through gritted teeth making few tears spill from my eyes but I was quick in wiping them away.

"It should've been me.. " I whispered, trying to clean the wound without hurting him too much. "No, no. You've already been shot twice" He protested.

"Yeah and I survived it, Jake.. I survived it and it was way worse than this. What if you don't, huh? What do I do then? " I snapped now bursting into tears causing Kaya to run over to me and hug me, making me regret what I had just said. I wrapped one arm around her while my other hand was still applying pressure on the wound.

"I'm sorry.. I'm sorry baby I didn't mean to say that, daddy will be fine.. I know he will" I whispered as I pressed a soft kiss on the top of her head. "Sorry love" I repeated but this time referring to Jake.

"It's okay, I know you didn't mean to say that. We'll get through this one just like we get through every one of them" He replied to me with a reassuring smile, trying to hide his obvious pain. I chose to ignore it for the moment and try to think rationally.

"You think you can walk? " I asked him, starting to think of a plan. "I can try"

"Alright, I know what we can do"

Few minutes later I was helping Jake to get into the house, over to a chair in the kitchen where I could take better care of his shot wound.

It took us a while but after about 10 minutes we got there. I carefully helped him down onto the chair and immediately jumped into action.

At that point I was more worried about Kaya than Jake 'cause even if she was handling it insanely well I knew this was extremely traumatizing for her.

"This is gonna sting a bit" I murmured as I found some rubbing alcohol in a the bathroom. "It's okay" He replied looking up at me with a reassuring smile as I returned a bit of a sad smile.

I put some of the rubbing alcohol on the piece of fabric and put it on the bullet wound. The moment the fabric made contact with the open wound he sucked in a breath trying to handle the pain as good as possible. "Sorry" I whispered again. "Don't be" He replied pushing through the pain.

Half an hour later I had finished cleaning the deep wound and was with Kaya in a room I had set up for her, trying to make her fall asleep. "Is daddy gonna be okay? " She asked worriedly. I smiled reassuringly. "Of course he is baby, come here " I replied as I opened my arms for her. She cawled over and snuggled close to me, my arms automatically closing around her tiny fragile body.

"He's gonna be just fine" I whispered before I put her into a sleeping position in my arms and started to hum a song I had heard a woman of the fallen pack sing to her kid weeks before and I couldn't help but think about the fact that the song sounded oddly familiar to me.

#edited#