Chapter V: Cubs

Jacob

(Time skip - 9 days)

Days had passed since Skylar and I were together. She still lived with the wolves and I still lived with my father in Forks, the most grey, rainy town on earth, even though both her and me hated the idea of being apart. But she would be rejected by the people here in forks because of her wild looks, people would start to want to know more about her so that would probably be more dangerous than living with a huge pack of wolves that would all probably protect her with their life and I couldn't just live with a bunch of wild wolves that didn't even knew me.

I was running through the forest in my wolf form patrolling around town as usual when suddenly I heard a panicked howl in the distance which I immediately recognised. Sky... Crap.

I started sprinting as fast as I could towards where the howl came from. Please be ok, please be ok, please be ok.

Suddenly I heard a gunshot and a wolf whining in pain. No no no no please no.

A hundred scenarios flowed through my mind. When I arrived where the noise came from I saw the one scenario I hadn't imagined. Sky was standing in front of 5 tiny newborn wolf cubs,

She was shot in her left back leg but was still growling and snarling at the hunter in front of her

Not hesitating I jumped into action

Not hesitating I jumped into action. I ran in front of her growling loudly at the hunter.

When he saw me the hunter jumped back knowing he stood absolutely no chance against two angry wolves that were probably protecting their cubs

He probably knew we wouldn't hurt him because if we wanted to Skylar would already have done it long before I arrived but he still ran off into the darkness of the forest.

As soon as I saw him disappear I turned to see Skylar starting to collapse.

With a speed I didn't know I had I ran towards her and held her from the ground with the right side of my body. I knew that it would be complicated to lay her wolf form down on the ground without her hitting the ground too hard but I couldn't just turn back human, that would be worse so I did what I could to lay her down.

The moment I layed her down completely I went over to the cubs to bring them to the warmth of her body. When that was done I howled as loud as I could so the pack would come to help.

I layed down next to her as close as possible to give her more warmth. She was unconscious and I couldn't stand it. I could've saved her. I could've ran faster. What if she doesn't make it? A hundred different thoughts ran through my mind until I heard branches snap behind me.

I shot up standing over Sky and the cubs she had saved protectively, scared it would be that dirty low life hunter's little friends but instead I saw the pack run towards me.

I immediately relaxed. As soon as they arrived where we were they all turned back human and so did I.

"What the hell happened?! " Paul practically yelled at me the moment I turned back human.

"I was patrolling and suddenly I heard her howl so I ran as fast I could but before I could get there I heard a gunshot, when I got there she was standing in front of those cubs protecting them from a hunter. When I showed up he probably thought he couldn't take on two full grown wolves so he ran off" I said almost panicking reminding the whole scene.

Seth and Leah his sister, had already gotten to Skylar while Paul looked furious at me. "Paul calm down he did what he could" I heard Sam, our alpha tell him but again, it was too late. He turned and almost jumped on me when we heard Sky whine in pain.

She had woken up and tried to get in front of me before Paul could attack but her shot left back leg wouldn't let her. I ran to her and as soon as I was by her side she had turned back human. I catched her before she could hit the ground and layed her down gently on the ground with her head on my lap.

"Sam, as much as I hate to admit it we need the cullens." I told him with a tone of hate in my voice when I said the name of those pale blood suckers. Sam nodded and started giving instructions "Paul, Embry, Jared, y'all come with me to get the Cullen freak. Quil, Leah and Seth, y'all stay with Jacob and Skylar in case that low life hunter returns with his little friends or even the police." They all nodded and Sam's group ran off.

When I looked up from Sky's face I saw that Quil, Leah and Seth were all staring at us with both confusion and smirks on their faces. "What's going on between you and the wild girl huh?" Seth spoke up.

I wasn't sure if it was such a good timing to explain but I didn't really stop to think about it "we uh... didn't really tell the whole story when we talked about how we met actually... " They all glanced at me with an irritating look. "Ok ok fine, we imprinted alright?! What did you think? That I'd fight back like a mad man if someone held me back from defending a girl I just met and was told to be a fucking assasin? I'm not that crazy" I snapped at them.

"Told ya, I knew it" Quil said with a smirk on his face. Leah and Seth were just staring at me in disbelief.

Suddenly I felt Skylar move in my lap and I heard a groan. She had woken up and tried to sit up but she couldn't do it on her own so I sat her up on my lap holding her close. "Hey" She said with a smile full of pain. "How are you feeling? " I asked in a soft voice.

"Horrible" She replied laughing a bit "that bitch got me good" She then said looking at her wound which was still bleeding under a piece of fabric Leah had tightened around it.

We all chuckled a bit. "You both gave us a good scare y'know" Seth said. "Jake was a complete wreck when we arrived" He continued. She giggled a bit and leaned her head against my chest.

There was a long silence that made me see more and more in how much pain she was. In every slight movement she made she winced in pain.

"You know Sky you are one of the most stupid or bravest wolves I have ever met. That hunter could've just shot you right in the head and you would be dead by now and just to protect those cubs you don't even know? " Leah broke the silence. Sky smiled at her.

"It's funny you say that, actually, that  hunter is one of the most difficult ones I got until now. This isn't the first time I save some cubs without a mum. More than 18 wolves in the pack are rescues I brought back home and the wolves raised them, just like me." She replied. We all looked at her in amazement when suddenly we heard twigs snap in the distance.

I sat Sky on the ground gently and shifted. As soon as I did the rest followed my example, they stood in a protective way around us while I circled around her and the cubs protectively.

More branches snapped as what was coming came closer and closer.

#edited#