40. Of Marketing and Management

As soon as I had hung up the phone, I headed toward the staff room, pausing in the main dining room to tell Suong, "Cynthia will be here in less than half an hour. I'm on my way to check the suggestion box."

"We just did, Chef. Still only six." She chuckled. "And they all suggest we keep Hot Potato."

"Great! Should we meet here with the nine of you? Or would it be better as a smaller group in my office?"

"I think initially here, so everyone's on the same page from the beginning. Only two of us here were involved before, and it would be good for all to hear Cynthia explain the process."

"Then, we'll do that. What do you know about the process?"

"The first thing is to build the company's story – its personality, its philosophy, its vision and so on. She has a long list of topics for us to consider as we come up with catchy things about Hot Potato. Information and ideas for the writers and other influencers to incorporate when they tell others about us. Things such as locally-sourced ingredients, sustainable seafood, vegetarian and vegan friendly, and so on."

"Also, that fine-dining needn't be stiff and formal," Muriel added. "Nor expensive. Ideas that combine casual and high quality. Relaxing. Fun. We've been trying to remember what we had before – the website gives a 404, the page not found message."

"Likely taken down by the family." I shrugged. "Starting fresh makes sense, anyway. Easier than making all the changes. Cynthia probably has a list of preferred developers – ones with experience building sites for restaurants."

I sat with the group and participated in their brainstorming, learning new things about both public relations and the former Plimpton's. As we discussed fun ideas to play with potatoes on the menu, Suong tapped my arm and nodded toward the entrance. "Here's Cynthia."

We both rose, and as the middle-aged blonde approached, I held out my hand and said, "I'm Gigi."

After we had greeted and Suong had introduced the others, Cynthia pointed toward the door. "First thing – I suggest you change the sign. Closed for restructuring gives a cold, corporate message. It needs an upbeat tone, something to entice, to intrigue, to create anticipation. You play with ideas while Gigi and I go talk business."

As Cynthia and I walked toward my office, she said, "You're so young to be doing this." She chuckled. "Or you've discovered the anti-ageing secret."

"I'll be twenty-nine next month – a year younger than Ron Freeny was when he opened Luminari."

Cynthia smiled and nodded. "True. What's your training and experience?"

"VCC Hospitality Management then Dubrulle. Topped the class and won the placement at the Four Seasons, then –"

"Ooh! I was F&B and Catering there." She shrugged. "For eight years, starting before you were born. A great place to launch a career. Where did you go from there?"

"A little over two years ago, John Cardinal recruited me as his sous."

"Excellent! He chooses only the most talented and inspired to mentor."

"To mentor?"

"To have you work alongside him – to share his techniques and magic – then find a position suited to your abilities and potential. Where did he place you?"

"Oh!" Realisation hit me as I reflected. "He sent me a list of positions yesterday, but I had already found Hot Potato, and I've been too busy to reply."

"You intrigue me further. I'm meeting with him later this afternoon to compare lists; I'll tell him for you, so you can concentrate on here." Cynthia glanced at her watch. "We both must. So, to begin, mentored by John is a wonderful gem to use in marketing you."