27. Dunc's View

After the police had left, I snuggled against Dunc on the couch, silent for a long while as he stroked my back to calm me. When I sensed I could talk without my voice trembling too much, I said, "Such a full day, and it's far from over – only five thirty. Will you stay with me tonight? Comfort me. Keep me safe."

He pulled me closer. "I was hoping you'd ask, Gigi."

"Ummm! There's the tingling again. I really do love you."

Dunc lifted my head from the crook of his neck, and our mouths merged.

A long and passionate while later, when our lips parted, I said, "I should take this suit off; otherwise, it'll be wrinkled and messed."

"Yes, and me, as well. I should head home to –"

"Head home?" I tensed again "Why? I thought you were going to stay the night."

"Oh, I am, but I need to change and to get fresh clothes for tomorrow." He stroked my back, calming me again. "Toothbrush, razor – stuff. My travel kit."

"Ummm. Can I go with you? With Garth so unpredictable, I no longer feel safe here."

"Yes, certainly."

I untangled from him and sat. "Where do you live?"

"Three and a half blocks along, across from Jonathan Rogers Park."

"Oh, that's on my morning run route." I tilted my head. "But it's all services and industrial lowrise along there."

"Ah, but there are still two houses left in that block, disguised by trees and shrubbery."

"Yeah, there are some fine old ones on 7th after the park on my way back, but they're not hidden."

"They need to be relatively visible because they're in the heritage register. Mine's equally worthy of being listed, but fortunately, the previous owners resisted."

"Fortunately? Why so?"

"The regulations would make it far more difficult to develop."

"To develop?"

"That's my long-term plan. I own the next two buildings, and I'm hoping to eventually buy the one on the corner. Meanwhile, I have a charming Edwardian house to call home."

"Ooh! That sounds so wonderful." I grabbed his hand. "Come upstairs and help me change, then take me to see it."

"Be ramrod stiff if I help you." He looked down and chuckled. "Buddy's already well up from our cuddling and kissing."

I pressed our hands on the bulge. "Then, we'll have to pause and enjoy softening him."

Half an hour or so later, as we walked beside the park, Dunc pointed across the street and said, "You can see it emerging now beyond Milano Coffee

Half an hour or so later, as we walked beside the park, Dunc pointed across the street and said, "You can see it emerging now beyond Milano Coffee."

"Oh, I've seen that one. Guess I never did anything with the image."