34. Spreading the Word

Dunc led me along the hallway to a large area filled with chin-high dividers. Then in one of the cubicles, he pulled me into a hug as near-silent chuckling shook his body. "How wonderfully ballsy that was, cutting the price so much. What if he had refused?"

"He wouldn't have. My balls were all hanging at pocket lips, needing only a tap in. He had earlier shown his eagerness to be rid of it, referring to it as a hot potato. You had mentioned his dislike of distressed employees. Then, when he said he had hoped for this outcome, he flubbed his shot, and it was my turn."

"True – now looking back at it and analysing. But you saw it instantly and lunged."

As I rose to my toes to receive his kiss, a voice came from the other side of a divider, "Is that the former Plimpton's chain off our hands, Duncan?"

Dunc straightened and released the hug. "Indeed, it is, Kira. Only the paperwork and details left."

"Among my go-to places before the collapse. The Richards Street one was so close to here for lunch. I hope it recovers."

"Give me two weeks, then come try us," I said as I stepped up to the divider and looked over it, seeing nobody. Maybe the next cubicle. "I'm Gigi, the new owner."

"And the Executive Chef," Dunc added. "Cut her teeth in the kitchens of the Four Seasons and Cardinal's. Exciting things coming, so spread the word."

"I certainly will," a tall, buxom redhead said as she came around the divider and extended her hand. "Pleased to meet you, Gigi. As Duncan said, I'm Kira – oh, wow! You're so young. Sorry, but new owner and executive chef mean much older in my books."

"Or brilliant and superbly talented," Dunc replied. "She's the perfect one to resurrect the chain."

"You've always been good at identifying great women, Duncan." She shook her shoulders to jiggle the huge mass beneath her blouse. "Pity you don't know what to do with them."

"We've been through this before, Kira. Many times, and this is neither the time nor the place to visit it again. Ms Gallini and I have an offer of purchase to draft and sign."

Hmmm! A sour note. Not a good place to end this. "If you wish, Kira, I can invite you to some of the soft openings as we test menus and train staff."

"Ooh! Like in Kitchen Nightmares."

"Yes, but these will be unstaged and without the artificial drama needed for so-called reality TV. This is the real stuff, Kira."

"Oh, Wow! Could you also invite some of my foodie friends?"

"Yes, certainly. The more knowledgeable, the better. My experience is at the top end of fine dining, and I want to make that quality accessible to more than only those with very deep pockets. Informed and intelligent feedback will help us tweak the menus."

Kira and I continued along this line while Dunc turned on the computer and tapped at the keyboard, then a couple of minutes later, he said, "Sit here, Ms Gallini. I need your information to complete this template."

"Yes, business. I'll be in touch, Kira."

A few minutes later, after the details had been entered in the spaces and we had reviewed the offer on the screen, Dunc sent it to the printer, turned off the computer and rose from his chair. "Come, Ms Gallini. We'll pick up the documents down the hall, sign them, leave a copy in the admin office and be on our way."

"Good luck, Gigi," came a voice from the other side of the divider.

"Thank you, Kira. See you in a few days. I'll have Mr McSweeny give you the details when they're sorted."