37. Of Accounting and Slips

"So, that would be fair, then?" I asked Dunc as we continued up the street.

"Completely, Gigi. My only influence was to list all the liabilities, knowing his habit of including hypotheticals. His analysis would have shown the company in its death throes."

"So, you deliberately triggered that response so they would sell it."

"Yes, I did. The cogs began turning the moment you told me about your dream of owning a restaurant."

"Fuck!" I squeezed his hand and pulled him to a stop. "Kiss me, you adorable fool."

We held the hug for a long while after our lips had parted, my body tingling and my mind spinning in the silence. Then I said, "And you decided to buy it for me. Just like that. Without hesitation."

"I cannot imagine a better owner."

"What if I run off with it? Give you the cold shoulder and scoot."

"You won't."

"How do you know?"

"You love me."

Tingling again swept through my body, and I rose to my toes to receive his lips.

A while later, as we resumed our way up Yukon Street, I asked, "So, what do we need to do at the bank?"

"You'll open a business account." He patted his pocket. "I've your company details here in my phone. Then, I'll deposit the proceeds from my sale of shares and you'll transfer the purchase amount to my escrow account."

"What else?"

"That's all we need for today. Tomorrow, after the deal closes, we'll do a name change – A&R Plimpton Inc to Gallini Inc, Corp or Ltd, or whatever you choose, and we need to change the directors. Also, open a Hot Potato current account and enable the bank to manage the payroll – cleaner and less expensive than an accounting firm."

"So many details. How will I ever manage?"

Dunc chuckled as he swung his right arm. "My sword morphs into an accountant's pen when needed."

"Which is mightier?"

"I knew you'd catch that. They're equally effective. You're well covered."

A quarter-hour later, as we sat in the branch manager's office, waiting for her to return, I said, "I like banking in this style. So much better than standing in line."

"You'll be doing a lot of it this way as your business grows."

"Grows? I just want to get it back up and running."

"You'll accomplish that and far more. With your brilliance, talent, creativity and energy, there'll be no holding it back."

"You're great for my confidence. Both you and Marcy bolster..."

I paused as the bank manager returned and placed two slips of paper on the desk in front of us. "Here you are, Mr McSweeny, the receipt for your transfer, and Ms Gallini, your opening balance, the transfer to escrow and your new balance. What else can I do for you today?"

Dunc replied, "That's it, thanks. But tomorrow, we'll be back to open new accounts for an acquisition and to set up payroll accounting."

As we left the bank, I asked, "Why did you deposit so much? I need only nine hundred and seventy-five thousand." I snorted. "Only! You've got me doing it now."

"That was my yield from selling some Apple shares, calculated to cover the price Mr Colewell had asked." He shrugged. "With the money saved by your ballsy offer, it'll now cover not only the acquisition and transfer costs, but it'll also clear the line of credit and leave about forty thousand to handle accounts payable as they become due. Also, provide some seed money to buy food and supplies to begin creating, practising and testing."