𝘾𝙝𝙧𝙞𝙨 𝙍𝙚𝙙𝙛𝙞𝙚𝙡𝙙 - 𝘴𝘪𝘳𝘦𝘯

[ any reader ]

Chris hands the device back to one of his men, returning his hand to the gun resting against his front. He peers outside, squinting a little due to the poor lighting provided by weak lanterns.

"Keep your guard up," he echoes, "we're not alone out here."

The squad stand close together to discuss the next steps of the mission, voices hushed. Their boss remains close by to listen in, keeping an eye on the rest of the reservoir, with a finger hovering by the trigger of his weapon.

A silvery voice has his ears perking up. He glimpses the squad before taking a step away, looking down at the murky water. His lips part when a face appears beneath the still surface.

Your skin radiant, glowing like an angel, and wearing a smile sweeter than honey as you sing a gentle melody. He subconsciously leans in, captivated by your twinkling eyes to say the least.

"Boss, we think we got something."

Chris misses the slight frown that washes over your face when he turns his head to the side. Though his brows knit together when he lowers his head and you're gone.

The following the night they return to their temporary setup at the reservoir. A couple guys wandering around the area and crossing narrow bridges to monitor the water, while the rest stay inside of the cave system.

Chris wanders away from everyone, craving some alone time after hours of tiresome work. The thought of you still weighs heavy on his mind. He hasn't been able to shake your voice from his brain, not even for a second.

The wooden planks creak under his weight as he halts by the edge. He lets his head tip backwards, closing his eyes to welcome the cool breeze cascading over his skin. One of his large hands dips into his pocket, closing a second too late. He sighs and lowers to one knee to pick up the old compass.

That's when he notices you floating a short distance from him. The dark water just below your doe eyes which sweep over his figure curiously. A thump followed by mixed voices has you disappearing back below the surface, Chris moving forwards slightly.

"No wait—" he exhales.

For a split second be contemplates scolding whoever caused the commotion, but that would look strange on his behalf. The last thing he wants is to arouse any suspicion from his own squad. He begins to stand but pauses when you resurface, your entire head above the water this time.

He wears a hint of a soft smile, watching you twist to the side and flick your tail above the water for him to admire. The iridescent scales shimmer under the flickering lanterns. He can't get enough of you, his eyes following you as you swim in circles, leaping into the air and elegantly diving back below.

You stop for a moment to catch his reaction, bashful when his smile widens. Something stirs within him, bringing him to extend a hand. You swim closer and tilt your chin upwards. While slowly raising your hand to his, and noticing the way he marvels at how soft your skin is, you begin to sing for him again.

He leans closer when you cup his face, losing himself in your gorgeous eyes. Your body lowers deeper into the water, guiding him further down with you until you're both submerged in the gloomy water. Your arms slip around him to keep him close.