𝙆𝙖𝙧𝙡 𝙃𝙚𝙞𝙨𝙚𝙣𝙗𝙚𝙧𝙜 - 𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘧𝘶𝘭

[ any reader ]

Resting a hand on the ice cold railing, you frown and twist your mouth to one side. Inhaling, you humorously tip your head back and scrunch your eyes, raising your voice to compete with the metallic clangs.

"Karl!"

"Over here," he shouts back. You smile to yourself and follow the sound of his husky voice, finding him hunched over his workbench. Still working on one of his newest robots.

After watching it attack other soldats and then proceed to walk off one of the bridges, you both agreed it needed a few adjustments to say the least.

"Everything okay?" He hums, keeping his back to you as he picks up another tool.

"Yeah, just missed you."

"Sorry, this thing has been pissing me off."

"I figured. Well, don't mind me. I'll just sit here and watch you." He lightly chuckles.

"You could watch me all damn day if it kept you happy. You know I love that smile of yours."

"You know it would." You peer over his shoulder, picking up a random tool and catching your reflection on the surface. He looks down at you, smiling softly. "I knew you needed it."

"Of course," he kisses your forehead.

"Please be careful." A frown tugs on your face at the amount of sharp edges sticking out. The arm furthest away twitches, raising upwards before dropping onto the table with a thud.

"Progress." He grins and you tilt your head, practically leaning over the robot to get a closer look at his toned torso.

"Karl, you're bleeding."

"Oh, yeah, that. It just nicked me."

"I'd say that's more than a nick. Put the tools down." You grab a clean cloth from the other bench. "I said stop."

"Sweetheart I'm a little busy-"

"You've been at this for hours, you can sit down for a minute."

All it takes is a glimpse of your serious face and he caves, knowing better than to argue because you'd most definitely win. With a sigh, he nods and sits beside you, allowing you to carefully wipe away the trickles of blood.

"You don't have to do this every time."

"You shouldn't get nicked this often."

"Doing what I do, it's bound to happen."

"Can't say I like any of it."

"You know I have to do this."

"I know. I don't like you building these things, but I'm not gonna stand in your way. I'll just begrudgingly support you from the sideline."

"That's enough for me." His hand finds your thigh, which he gives a gentle squeeze.

"It's not too bad at least. It'll most likely leave another scar though."

"I thought you liked my scars."

"I do. I love them. They make you look even hotter. But having them just means you've been hurt dozens of times, you know I don't like seeing you get hurt. Even if it really is just a scratch."

"Not too bad when I've got you here to look after me." You hum and drop your hand over his, playing with his fingers.

"Alright, you can carry on. But I'm gonna sit and watch you. Not another scratch."

"I'll try and be careful."

"You better."

"I'm trying," he says a little more seriously. "For you."

You bring your other hand to his cheek, tracing over the scars that sit under your thumb. "I know you are. That's enough for me," you smile lovingly.

He kisses the inside of your palm, flashing a pearly grin. You place the cloth to one side and make yourself comfortable, humming along to the radio while watching him work away.