Chapter 4

Veronica's POV

I ran away from the theater as fast as I could and I kept on running until I found a bus stop which was about two kilometres away from the theater. I boarded the bus as soon as I could and sat in a window seat near the back.

 I was exhausted and I was drenched with sweat, and barely had enough money in my pockets to pay the bus fare. My palms became a pale blue and were cold to the touch. I pulled out a water bottle and started drinking it as my throat went dry.

I leaned back, resting my head on the glass of the window and started thinking about what has just happened. I touched my lips and saw the blood on my fingertips. I pulled out a tissue and started cleaning it. I could hardly believe how quickly the situation had slipped from my control.

Passengers in the bus were staring at me, probably wondering what had happened to me. Tears started flowing from my eyes and I immediately wiped them away, staining my hands with diluted eye makeup.

I saw black twinkling eyes looking at me in the reflection of the window. I turn around and see him, sitting on a sleeping woman's lap behind me. He had a small smile on his face. Such an adorable face, I thought. He looked about 8 months old, held in his mother's arms.

 He stretched his little hand towards me and I touched his little soft fingers which were so delicate. He laughed as I touched his hand and he immediately held my finger with his hand.

For a few minutes I forgot everything that has happened and I was happy. The mother and her kid left as their destination arrived. I waved them bye and plugged in my earphones. 

At times all you need is music, a book, and coffee. I decided to read a book after going home which would surely make me feel much more better. Or at least it would distract me.

I reached home after an hour of tiring journey and knocked the door. My mom came smiling to open the door and was shocked to look at me.

"Why are you home so early? What is that on your lips? Is everything alright?" she asked, firing questions at me.

"Mom Let me in first!" I exclaimed. Then I went straight into my room and locked the door behind me. I hope she won't bear a grudge.

I got freshened up and changed into my PJs and a T shirt with Spongebob Squarepants appliqued on the front. I heard my door knock. I know it is mom and her curiosity will be killing her to know about me. I sigh and pull my hair into a low ponytail, ready to tell her my story.

"Coming!" I shouted replying to the knocks, which did not cease.

"Yes mom, now tell me? What were you asking?" I demand softly.

"You should have been in college now. Why are you home early?" she questioned, standing in the doorframe. She looked upset, but not with me, upset that I was not okay. The kind of upset you only see in mothers and fathers, and those closest to you.

"I..I was feeling sick and so I came back home. And before you question me about the cut on my lip. I would like to explain you that I was knocked into a pole when the bus driver braked suddenly, and I was standing up. Now you would ask me why was I standing in the bus? Answer for that is that there were no seats left." I answered, trying to keep any hints of guilt or lies out of my eyes.

My mom raised her eyebrow and asked, "Why should I believe you?"

"Because that's the truth," I insisted, trying my hardest to look innocent. It's not that I don't want her to know, I just don't want her to freak out and do something regrettable. For my sake.

She stared into my eyes to find out whether my story is true or not. As I looked at her confidently, she gave up.

"I am starving. Can you please get something for my stomach?" I asked, rubbing my stomach.