14| Traditions

After our stay in Rome, we headed to Greece for three days. The first two days consisted of sightseeing, exploring, and eating the local cuisine—which happened to be delicious.

Greece is the one country I have always wanted to visit. As a fan of Greek mythology, it was a dream I wasn't sure would ever come true. Now that it has, it feels so surreal. Coming here was like like a dream, and I definitely wasn't ready to wakeup yet.  

The first place we visited was Athens. Even though I wasn't as much of a fan of ancient architecture as the boys, I was still in awe when we went to see the Acropolis. The enormous building was made from marble and it also used you have the statue of Athena, the goddess of Athens. As soon as I late my eyes on Acropolis, Jackson and Ryan teased me when I got all giddy and excited. Harper had my back though and took a bunch of picture of me with Acropolis in the background. 

When I nagged Ryan to take me to my dream spot, we finally made the trek to Litochoro to see Mount Olympus. In Greek mythology Mount Olympus was known as the place where Zeus sat on his throne. It was also known as the home to other gods and goddesses.

Since I was pregnant we weren't able to climb the mountain like a lot of other tourists. But I was happy just to see it in person. I have to admit, I've never taken so many pictures in my life. Once Harper filled up my camera, we had to switch to my phone. 

On the second day we traveled to Santorini—also known as the island of Thira. We learned that he landscape for the island was created by a volcanic crater. It was on the water and had amazing views, and of course there was the beautiful architecture of the homes, buildings, and churches.

This time I got to tease Jackson and Ryan about being overly excited as they started to fill up the space on their phones with pictures too.

Today was our last day in Greece, and of the vacation, and we decided to spend it in Crete. Ryan told me he had a surprise for me when he brought me here. And holy shit was I surprised.

"This is amazing," I breathed as I relaxed on the sunbed we rented. I had to admit, even though I wanted to lay out in the sun, I was glad that Ryan insisted on me getting a parasol. His concern for me and the baby should probably annoy me. But honestly it made me feel nothing but love. 

"I'm glad you like it, baby."

I more than liked it. I loved it here. The water was such a clear blue that when Harper and I went in knee-deep, we could see the underwater wildlife.

"This trip really was amazing you guys," Harper said from the sunbed next to me. "Thank you so much. Its the best vacation ever."

"Don't you mean honeymoon, too?" Jackson quipped as he bent down to kiss her softly.

"Of course," she chuckled. "I'm just glad that we are all here together."

A thought occurred to me and I tapped Harper on the arm.

"We probably shouldn't mention this place to Lanie."

Harper's eyes widened with understanding. "Oh no. You're right! She would lose it."

Ryan frowned and looked from me to Harper. "Why shouldn't we tell her about this place? You guys just said it was amazing."

"Exactly," Harper and I said at the same time.

I turned towards Ryan. "Lanie's dream has always been to travel to Europe. But she's always wanted to come to a place like this. After her parents died though, she kind of gave up on all that."

"Maybe we can plan a trip for just the girls to come back here. Or a different beach like this. There are many. It doesn't have to be here."

Apparently Jackson didn't like Harper's idea.