Twenty-Three

I think about my upcoming need for social interaction, and my nerves get shot and I spastically run upstairs to my room, grabbing my phone before clicking Clay's contact, pressing the call button before I even think about it.

"y/n?"

Wait— I called him. That means... I have to talk.

"Hi..?"

His silence is deafening and I already wanna hang up, not understanding why I didn't just text him about my nerves.

"You still there? Is something wrong? You said you wouldn't call me."

Hearing his voice again after all this time only brings the mans face back to my mind and I can't stop the smile that grows.

"Hi."

I repeat myself on accident, just happy my throat wasn't closing up and I could get proper words out in actual English.

"Is this a prank? What are you up to?" He laughs a little, obviously lost as to what's going on right now. So it's up to me, I've got this.

"Uhm well you see I was uhm help?" The words speed from my mouth without pause and I can only hope he understood me.

"Help? Of course, what's up?" He agrees immediately without even being aware of the situation and then I realize how thin the ice is I'm treading on.

Clay is a faceless YouTuber who hired me as his editor around six months ago, and I am about to ask him— the guy who probably thinks of me as nothing more than an acquaintance— to comfort me instead of reachable friends or family.

"Will you— help me calm my nerves? Sorry I know it's a bother for you and I understand if you say no there isn't any pressure obviously I'll be fine if you don't wanna I'm just too scared to make my family worried and—"

"y/n! Slow down; it's okay. We're friends, right?"

His voice is calm, and I can't read if he's gonna say yes or not, which is no comfort to me.

"Uhm— well yes! I'm sorry again for bugging you with my problems, it isn't a big deal if—"

"Alright deep breaths, I'm right here, 'kay? Let's take this a step at a time," His words barely register to my mind that's currently clouded with the different types of apologies I'll use for when he ultimately tells me no and calls me weird.

"Deep... breaths," My face is staring blankly at a wall in shock, all thoughts stopping themselves.

"You're struggling, and that's okay. Just talk with me, yeah?" He adds, and I let out a small squeal, forgetting he can even hear me.

"I will say, you don't have a lisp," Clay laughs, obviously joking with me while ignoring the idiotic noises I was making as to start helping me calm down.

But I can't stop shaking, and my mind won't stop racing.

"I'll um— I'll message you! I'm sorry!" Just as I'm about to hang up I'm interrupted with Clay's familiar voice.

"Wait! Didn't you say you have... what's it called? Ah! Selective mutism? How come you were able to talk through the phone, especially when you're having an attack? Are you okay with calls?"

Just when I thought I was in the clear, huh? I mean, it's not like he won't figure it out eventually that we've already met in real life.

I open my mouth to answer before hearing a change in the phone's sound, a ding coming across. "Huh? Oh, Clay hold on my friends calling me from the hospital."

"What?! Ok-" I hang up before he can finish and pick up f/n's calls, hearing a bunch of muffled voices.

"What's up?"

"Hey! So, I was thinking about who you can ask and—"

"I'm going alone," I respond quickly, already waiting to hear their squeals and sounds of excitement from the other line.

"Ahhhh!!! Really?! You're doing this on your own?! I'm so proud of you! Now, you just have to see it through. No babying out, it's too late for that."

They know me too well, because I was already thinking of ways to get out of this. Soren alone is a heart attack waiting, and I have to watch him down the aisle without crying on top of that.

"This is gonna suck, f/n."

☁︎︎

Vote?
Comment?
Follow?

Don't worry we're not done with the book yet, I'm tripping through this sucker as if it's the last thing I'll do!