Thirteen

For some reason, after seeing this man only three times for a few minutes each, I was feeling rather relaxed.

Maybe it was because he seemed so nice, never acting creeped out or angered by us meeting so randomly.

"Sorry."

Even though it was a simple word, saying that and telling him my name were big achievements.

It was good to know that I was getting better with my mutism day-by-day while also getting more comfortable with my anxiety.

Of course, that seems like something really obvious to figure out, but you can only know if anxiety is getting better by putting yourself out there.

And up until f/n messaged Dream, I hadn't even left my house for more than an hour at a time. And even then it was mainly just for groceries.

"I'm glad you're starting to warm up to me now. We've stumbled upon each other quite a bit and I was beginning to worry you thought I was some kind of creep."

Clay laughed out the words, but I could tell he was actually worried I might've been disturbed with his presence in some way.

I guess I can relate to that. The thought of people not liking me because of a misunderstanding is something I have to deal with every day.

Mainly because my mind likes to put those kinds of sick thoughts into my head.

"Hey, why don't we finish our walk to the store together? That is, if you're going to the store... and you want to."

I think about it a little bit, ultimately deciding to nod my head yes.

Maybe if I made a new friend like Clay, then I could go home with some good news for f/n, I'm sure they'd love to hear I'm trying my best.

And maybe Mom and Dad are shopping where we're heading, that way I can just latch onto them when we get there.

"Alright! Off we go then," Clay starts to walk again, making sure I keep behind him at a steady pace.

☁︎︎

After a few minutes of walking I hear Clays phone buzz, and he pulls it from his pants pocket quickly, a smile on his face.

I'm curious who would cause such a happy reaction, but that thought is ruined when he starts to frown instead.

"Something wrong?"

I speak up again; deciding that keeping this awkward silence would only be worse for my anxiety than trying to talk.

"No, not really. My uh— friend! My friend hasn't texted me in about an hour, and I'm a little concerned," He admits, putting his phone back into the same pocket. "I know I shouldn't be, it's just they don't not respond to me a lot. I'm worried something might've happened."

I nod my head, showing that I'm listening to his issue without having to verbalize much. "I'm sure they're fine."

Before he can say anything more we get to the store; both of us stopping outside just to awkwardly stand there.

"So, uhm... bye? I guess?" Clay questioned more than he stated, offering a small wave to me.

I wave back, already predicting to find him at some point in the store. "See you."

And with that, we both walk in at the same time, Clay going for the drink-coolers as I turn away to wander off.

Maybe the candle aisle has some nice picks today. I'm always in the mood for candles, and to make it better, there isn't usually anyone in the aisle.

Especially since it's a weird thing to see in a convenience store. But growing up, this was the best place to get candles for cheap.

I don't mind the small crowd of stores that much as long as I know what I'm doing or I'm with someone; but it's when I allow my thoughts to get to me that I don't like it.

It suddenly feels like everyones eyes are on me, and they all have something to say. But I know they don't, well, at least that's what I tell myself. It doesn't fix anything though.

I get to the candle aisle quickly; deciding that I don't need to look for my parents because the stores small enough that I would see them.

I mean come on, Clay is a few feet away buying some beef jerky for crying out loud.

Luckily, he seemed too busy to pay any mind to me, even though it didn't seem too bad if he decided to talk with me a little more.

I shake my head to rid it of thoughts, changing mental subjects— I'm gonna buy candles.

☁︎︎

Vote?
Comment?
Follow?

Yuh... it's an update! You guys can tell how bad I am at end note things right? Why do I even do these?

Not many readers even look at these, and I can say that because I'm one of those readers.