Twelve

"Uhm... So we're good?" The man questioned, rolling a little on the balls of his feet. Damn it, I was making everything more awkward than it needed to be.

"Mhm," I nod a little, turning to leave since it seemed like the perfect moment for an escape.

This way, I wasn't running; instead, I was just walking away after accidentally bumping into a stranger.

"Oh, wait!" His voice chases me and I stop, head flying through all the reasons he could possibly have to call out for me.

Slowly, I turn around, hands shaking and body tensed from my own anxiousness. When I saw him again, all I could do was wait.

"I'm Clay," The blonds hand reaches out towards me, and my eyes widen a little at the familiar name.

Okay, slow down.

It doesn't mean anything; a name is exactly as it sounds— a name. It isn't proof that the person before me is my current employer... and crush.

I take his hand in a small shake but don't say anything, trying to work myself up to speak with the man. He seemed nice, and I doubt it'll take long for me to get comfortable.

But when he suddenly stops talking, I start thinking of everything I could've done wrong.

Is my hand sweaty? Did he not want a handshake? What if me not responding properly is starting to irritate him?

"It's our second time running into each other, so I thought it might be reasonable to take this as a sign," He laughed, scratching his neck a little before moving to pull up his jeans slightly. "But now that I'm saying it, that sounds super dumb— and kinda corny."

I could see Clay was struggling to keep this conversation afloat, and I felt bad, since it was my fault we were in this mess anyway.

Besides, my anxiety around him is a lot less now that a huge crowd wasn't watching. He also wasn't making me anxious on his own accord, or at least more anxious than I already am.

"y-y/n."

The word is shaky, and it's obvious that I'm struggling, but Clay smiles anyway. The expression is sweet, and nearly contagious, since I begin to grin a little myself.

"Alright then, I'll remember that for the next time we bump into each other. Maybe then we can actually hang out together."

If only he knew that after today, I would be gone, and the only chance he'd have at bumping into me was if he came to my town.

Or maybe next summer I'll come visit again. Who really knows to be honest. With the job I have now, it's totally possible I come and visit here more.

Clay waves before walking off with a joyed expression, leaving me to think I'd done something good to deserve such a reaction.

But what if it was fake? Thinking back on it, that smile was a little too big for a happy person. Clay probably just didn't wanna hurt my feelings...

I shake my head and continue the trip, trying to find something to do considering there wasn't a park getting any closer.

It's difficult to try and think of places where there won't be large crowds of people.

Beaches and theme parks were no good, and stores were a negative too, if they required me to talk with cashiers and workers that is.

Maybe I should just stick to a walk. I mean, there wasn't really any reason for me to find something to do after all.

"This isn't even real right now."

I look up at the voice and see Clay. I look around, expecting to have accidentally gone in a circle.

But that isn't possible, the both of us had walked off, not just me.

"Don't tell me you're heading to the convenience store too," Clay laughs, stuffing his hands into his sweatshirt pocket. "At least we didn't actually bump into each other this time."

☁︎︎

Vote?
Comment?
Follow?

Listen, I know we all love to comment 'no. he's a stranger.' but this is how people meet people.

Everyone is a stranger at some point.

Also this is a fanfic and I totally expect to use that as my excuse for implausible and weird incidents.