hold on

A few months later 

Mayas pov 

We just got home from dropping y/n off at college. Luna is with Amelia for the night, which honestly is fine with me. Car told me about how Amelia was there for her when I got hurt, so I have a newfound respect for her.

I come downstairs to see carina laying on the kitchen floor, just like she did when Andrew died. "Babe, what's wrong?" I ask, she sighs and a tear slides down her cheek. 

"Everything." She responds. I lay down next to her, and hold her. "I.." I try today but she interrupts. "I just dropped my bipolar daughter off at college, all by herself for the first time. We're living in a pandemic hell, my brother died, I lost a patient yesterday for the first time in years.. I.. I'm so done." She says.

"I know car... but we have a beautiful baby girl who turns one in a month, and y/n got a full ride for soccer, and you got a promotion.. I mean it's hard to look at the bright side of things now, but it's all we can do.".

"Since when did you become the positive one?" She says smiling, tear still streaming down her cheeks, "since when did you become the negative one?" I respond, to which she laughs. We lay there for a while. I turn to her and see she's fallen asleep. 

I pick her up, and carry her to bed. She gets under the covers, and kisses me  gently. "I love you Bambina" she says groggily, "I love you too" I respond. 

I take my phone out quickly, and text y/n. 

Hey Kid. I'm really proud of you. We miss you already, the house isn't the same without you. Call me whenever, I mean it. Love you.

She responds quickly

Love you too Maya, thank you. 

Carinas pov 

I wake up the next morning to my alarm, I roll over and cuddle Maya for a few moments before getting up. I grab my phone and text Amelia, telling her I'll be over in an hour to pick up Luna. She and link have been running a little daycare over there, with scout, Zola, Bailey, Ellis, and tuck. I feel bad leaving her with Luna for any longer, so I start getting ready. 

When I get to her house, I knock on the door. "Hey Carina, come in." She says. I put my mask on, and walk in. Luna crawls over to me, and I pick her up. "Hi Bambina" I say to her. Amelia hands me my bag, and I thank her. 

"She's the most well behaved little kid, it wasn't hard at all." She says. I drive back home to give Luna to maya for the day, and then head back to work.

As I'm walking in, jo runs up to me. "Hey, did you hear about the vaccine trials?" She asks, "No, I haven't checked my email. I just dropped y/n at college.". We walk in the doors after getting out temperature checked and she says "they think it's going to be approved by the fda soon, and first responders are the first people to get it.".

We get all suited up, and as we're walking toward the obgyn floor, she asks "are you going to get it?". I bite my lip, "if it gets approved, then yes." My first thought is maya, does she still count as a first responder? She hasn't been to work in over a year, but she's been in a coma..

A few hours later 

When I get my first break for the day, I immediately call maya. I fill her in on what Jo said, and she responds "so should I start picking up shifts again? I mean, I think I'd want to get the vaccine early, and I don't know if I still count as first responder.." I sigh, "only if you want to, and if you feel ready." I respond. 

My pager goes off, so I hang up. Webber just called an emergency staff meeting of all department heads. I jog to the conference room all suited up, and I'm joined by Meredith, Maggie, Owen, and Amelia and link on zoom.