Chapter Forty-Four

FINALLY!!!

I was dreading writing this chapter for soooooooo long, and I honestly don't even know why. It's a 'gets the ball rolling' kind of chapter, and those are always difficult for me. You're probably wondering what the hell I mean by that, so please continue on with the story! I hope you enjoy it! 

The soft golden sunlight of the Asgardian morning was a pleasant sight to wake up to, the soft sheets of the tavern bed caressing my naked skin. Reaching over to my husband's side of the bed, I didn't find the man lying next to me, still asleep. Instead, I found a note covered in Loki's familiar, swooping penmanship. Sitting up against the headboard, the sheets pooling around my waist, I rubbed my eyes to get a better look at the note.

My dearest wife,

I shouldn't be gone long. I've just gone to gather some breakfast for you. I'll try to bring your favorites.

Yours always,

Loki

I felt love swell in my chest at the thought of the man I called my own. I clasped the note to my chest and snuggled back into the bed. I wasn't sure if Loki was aware, I'm sure he was, but I had kept every single note he had left me. Some were long drawn out love letters for me to read when he was away with Thor. Others were short and sweet like this one, just telling me where he was going. I loved to trace the ink, following all of the flourishes and bends of his writing, the i's dotted and the t's crossed.

No matter how hard I tried, I could keep the smile off my face at the memory of the previous night's event. I had married the man of my dreams in the quaint little port city where we had shared our first kiss. Yes, by law, we were already married when we were wed before our families, but this was something more. This wasn't a political ploy, just another move in the game of chess that was our lives. Last night, we had married for nothing but love. He had spoken the smooth, loving words of his vows to me, bringing me to tears. There was no way to describe how that man made me feel.

I snuggled deeper under the sheets, a smile on my face, a giddy feeling in my stomach, and a giggle spilling from my lips. I was the luckiest girl in the world. No, our life wasn't picture perfect, nor was our love, but I felt like when Loki came into my life, the broken, empty part of my heart was healed. I had never felt more whole than I did when I was with Loki. He was everything to me.

In the midst of my day dreaming, I must have drifted off back to sleep because I jumped when something was suddenly sliding into bed behind me. I quickly settled when I heard my husband's familiar chuckle, and his strong arms wrapped around me.

"Scared me," I mumbled as I wiggled around to look at him. His green eyes were soft and loving as he looked down at me.

"Apologies, my dear," he said sweetly, pressing a quick kiss to my lips. "Didn't mean to startle you, dove," he promised. I nodded and yawned tiredly as I tucked my head into his bare chest. My eyebrows furrowed at the discovery.

"Don't tell me you went around town only half dressed," I said, looking up at the man. He threw his head back and let loose a hearty laugh, filling the room with its joyful tone.

"No no, of course not. I just love to feel your warm skin against mine," he muttered, wrapping his arms more securely around my back as he pulled me tight against him. I smiled and pressed a kiss to the crook of his neck, listening to him sigh in response.

"You sap," I muttered, running my fingers through his raven locks. I heard him chuckle in response, his breath tickling my skin.

"Only for you," he practically purred as his hands wandered from my upper back to my bare hips. I giggled as I put my hands on his chest, leaning back to look at the man. His green eyes were dark as he looked down at me. Without a word, he shifted us until he was straddling my thighs. Despite having been in this position more times than I could count, a blush still rose to my cheeks.