Chapter Forty-Two

At the time I am writing this, I will be graduating in only 21 days!!! Thank you for being so patient with me and sticking with me through this challenging time. Who knew the end of senior year was going to be this stressful!!! Anyway, I do hope you enjoy!!!

⚠️TW: Graphic depiction of torture⚠️

(Y/N)'s POV

A sigh escaped my lips as I ran the cool, wet cloth over Loki's forehead again, washing away any sweat that resided there. After he had fallen asleep while being read to, he had spiked another fever. It wasn't terrible, but it was still worrisome, especially considering that he was still in his Frost Giant form which should be bringing down his internal temperature.

When I had sought out Frigga for her wisdom, she said this was common while fighting off this particular poison. Frigga said it was a fairly common, fast-acting poison which made it hard to find the culprit. This poison could be found in several of the nine realms and all throughout Asgard. It was also made from a very common plant. So, we had no idea where to even start. It could be anyone from just about anywhere.

It also didn't help that he was still fighting off the infection in his wound that had quickly set in on the long, cumbersome ride back to the palace. The mix between the poison, the infection, and the fact that he was a Frost Giant, he was having a particularly hard time with keeping the fever at bay.

So, here I was once again, trying my hardest to keep him cool. Frigga and I had woken him to take a few more herbs to help with the fever and the infection, and we had replaced his bandages once again. We were doing the best we could, but it was up to his personal strength to fight the infection. There was only so much we could do, and I felt guilty about it. Thankfully, Frigga had helped to ease my worries. She reminded me that I was doing all I could, and he would appreciate simply that I was here with him. So, here I would stay.

A shiver suddenly ran up my spine as an unsettling feeling washed over me. My chest constricted, and it felt as though bugs were running up and down my back and over my arms. I crossed my arms over my chest and hugged myself, looking around for the source of the uncomfortable feeling. It was strange. I had never felt like this before.

"P-please," a weak voice said, and I turned to find Loki twitched uncomfortably where he lay. His entire body was shaking, and his lips were quivering in a silent plea.

Of course. With the basics of our telepathic magic, I could feel what Loki was feeling. Normally, he held his pain tight to him, not ever letting me set it. Now, as he was asleep, there was no lock on the secret chamber that was his mind. With him not feeling well and his body focusing on so many other important things, locking his brain down wasn't a top priority. I didn't want him to keep so much away from me. I wanted him to trust me with everything. But, there were things that he just didn't feel comfortable sharing. He had been through so much, so much pain and suffering, and I didn't expect him to share everything. He didn't want to burden me with it, and I could understand where it was coming from, but, deep down, I always wished he would be more open with me.

A sudden gasp followed by a pain filled moan had my attention back with my husband and away from my thoughts. His chest was rising and falling quickly in succession with his labored breathing. Sweat was still beading on his brow and upper lip as he tossed and turned restlessly.

"Loki, hun. Shh, shh," I cooed as I rested my hand on the side of his face. Instead of leaning into my touch like he often did, he flinched away and let out a pitiful whine. "Easy, Loki. It's just me," I said, trying a different approach and running my hand through his hair. Again, he flinched and tried to pull away. I continued running my hand through his hair, hoping to ground him from whatever nightmare or memory he was experiencing in his state of unconsciousness.