Chapter Twenty-One

Wow, haha, this only took forever, and I'm updating at almost 2 in the morning. Anyway, thanks for the patience, and I hope you enjoy this chapter!

The only sound present as I carried my wife down the hallway was my feet on the marble and her soft sniffling. I couldn't quite tell if she was still crying or not, but my heart clenched tighter and tighter every time I heard her sniffle into my shoulder. Her lithe hands were gripping the back of my shirt tightly as I carried her back to our room.

My thoughts were racing at her words earlier. It was from them. Only one thing would get her to react like that. I killed him. She had definitely been talking about the dark elves. There was no doubt in my mind that it came from the creatures that killed her innocent, precious little brother. I shook my head. I didn't need to be worrying about that right now. I needed to worry about my wife that was in my arms, tears still leaking down in her cheeks into the crook of my neck. She was shaking, and there was a good chance she had gone into shock. I didn't know what she had seen, but it was something along the lines of her brother's death.

When I reached the door to our room, I let out a sigh and waved my hand. Instantly, the door unlocked and opened. I pushed it further open with my my foot before turning and closing it behind me.

Once I reached the bed, I waved my hand again, and the cover's in (Y/N)'s side of the bed slid back so I could lay her down. I moved to lay her down carefully, but she didn't want to let go of my shirt. She let out a whimper and held me tighter. I sighed and sat, (Y/N) partially in my lap.

"I know, darling," I crooned at my heartbroken wife. "Just lay down for me. I'm going to get you a warm washcloth, and then I'll be right back. How does that sound, hmm?" I asked her, brushing back a piece of (H/C) hair. She didn't answer for a few moments but finally nodded hesitantly. "Okay," I murmured to her. I carefully laid my wife down, smoothing back her hair once more when she was fully out of my arms.

She immediately curled in on herself, tucking her arms around her body and pulling her legs into her chest. I let out a small whimper of my own when I saw her gaze grab the far wall and not move. Her eyes with emotionless and blank. If it weren't for the rise and fall of her sides, I would have mistaken her for dead. I moved to slip her shoes off and pulled the sheet up over her body, smoothing it down before leaving to go to the bathroom to collect the warm wash cloth I had promised her.

I was quick to get a warm wash cloth ready, wringing out the excess water before exiting the bathroom and taking it over to wife. I sat on the edge of the bed by her hip and as I did so, my armor shimmered away to leave me in a pair of soft pants and a cotton shirt.

"Look at me, dove," I whispered, carefully taking her chin my hands and turning her head to look at me. A frown tugged at my lips when I saw unshed tears in her beautiful (E/C) eyes. "Oh, darling. I know, love, I know," I whispered, cupping her cheek with my hand and rubbing my thumb gently over her cheekbone. The unshed tears suddenly spilled over her eyelids in torrents. Just seeing her like this made me want to cry along with her, but I knew I needed to be strong for my wife. If we both erupted into hysterics we wouldn't get anywhere. I would only make it worse if I did that.

"I know," I whispered again, bringing the washcloth to her face and carefully wiping her face with the warm, damp cloth. Her tears started to slow as I continued my ministrations. "There you are," I murmured quietly to myself. I ran the soft fabric over her cheeks, forehead, and nose before getting the front of her neck. She sighed and relaxed as I set the washcloth to the side. I ran a hand over her hair again as she turned to look up at me. "Do you need anything, darling? Water? Another washcloth? I'll get you anything you need," I promised my wife.