Chapter 36

A Few Months Later

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it is time for the final of the World League. The reigning champion of the Silver Conference from the Johto region, Aaron Olson, who has clearly upped his training since his tough battle in this year's abandoned final, has fought his way through to his first World final. However, facing him and fighting to retain his title, is the current Pokémon Master, known only as 'Champion'. Aaron has fought his way through some tough challenges thus far, but this will be his hardest by a long way. Can he triumph? Or will 'Champion' – making his first series of public appearances since the famous battle that has simply become known as the clash of legends – prove too hot for the challenger? Ladies and gentleman, welcome to the field, the challenger. Welcome Aaron Olson!"

Ash chuckled to himself as the stadium roared their approval. Aaron was a popular figure, not least in his attitude to fans. He always seemed to have time for them. However, the announcers attempt to talk up the match was amusing. Both Ash and Aaron knew that this was going to be a one-sided affair. Although he had been impressed with the progress that Aaron had made since he last saw him; the trainer was clearly talented and had taken what he had learned from Ash at the training camp to heart. The camp seemingly so long ago, that Ash had helped at. Just one of many things that had happened since he had returned to civilization.

"And welcome to the field, the greatest Pokémon Master ever seen" Ash laughed out loud again. "Before he competed at this tournament he had not been seen for months. He has not spoken to the media in months. He may be mysterious, but his power is incredible. Let me hear you roar for the Pokémon Master, 'Champion'!"

Ash strode out onto the field, not even bothering to acknowledge the avalanche of noise rolling down from the stadium. His mind was not focused on the battle ahead, but on what he was looking at. In the stands, high above his head, he could see Cynthia, Lance and Steven all watching the battle. And in the Champion's Box, next to them was Delia Ketchum. The mother he thought he had lost forever, but had come back to him. She had barely left his side in the months since Professor Oak had brought her to see him. And he could not remember being happier. Espeon had commented on how he had seemed more complete since she had come back into his life, along with Pikachu. Delia saw her son looking up into the stands at her and smiled, knowing that he would see it. Alongside her, Sam and Mellanie were cheering, making Ash smile. They had never been to one of his battles live, having not been brought for the quarter- or semi-finals, but he had agreed that they could watch him here.

Ash reached the middle of the stadium, where the Aaron waited for him, alongside the referee. Ash reached out and shook his opponent's hand, before politely wishing him good luck. He then returned to his trainer's box, and faced Aaron.

"Champion, release your Pokémon." The referee called. Ash silently held out a Pokéball, before Charizard appeared with a deafening roar. Across the field, Aaron fingered his belt before choosing his own Pokémon. Jolteon appeared, hissing at the noise.

"No surprises in the selection of either Pokémon. Aaron starts the vast majority of fights with his Jolteon, and clearly has decided to do so here, while Charizard is the only Pokémon that 'Champion' has used in this tournament, and is the Pokémon that single-handedly won him his title last time out."

"This is a six on six battle, between Aaron Olson and 'Champion'." The referee announced. "Either side can make substitutions at any time and when one side has lost three Pokémon, there will be a short break. Are both trainers ready?" After both trainers nodded, the referee whipped his flags down. "Begin!"