Chapter 22

Sam Fernandez stood facing his best friend across the field. In the quarter-finals of his first ever tournament, and he had to face the girl he had known all his life. For her part, Mellanie Rigger didn't looked thrilled with the prospect of facing Sam. The worst part was, they both knew how closely matched they were. Neither was really sure who was going to win.

Up in the stands, the rest of the group was watching nervously. They all knew how hard it was going to be for the two youngsters to fight. But one had to win; this was the risk of entering the tournament with them. Misty was just glad she didn't have to face them.

Agent was also sat in the stands, waiting for the Pokémon Master to arrive, as he did just before the battle started. Agent was still unsure if 'Champion' knew that it was him that was there. However, he had been aware of an increase in the number of Pokémon hunting. As he saw 'Champion' settle into his seat, Agent turned his attention to the field below, to keep further tabs on the youngster that had caught his eye.

"Sam Fernandez will choose his Pokémon first." The referee announced as the ticker settled on the red colour. Sam grimaced, before pulling a Pokéball off his belt. "Haunter, come on out" he called, releasing his Ghost-Type. Mellanie grimaced, and released her Poliwhirl.

"Haunter vs Poliwhirl. Begin!" called the referee.

"Haunter, Hypnosis." Sam ordered.

"Poliwhirl, dodge and use Water Gun."

Haunter's attack missed, but when Poliwhirl retaliated, the ghost-type simply floated above the burst of water. Sam smiled. "Now, Shadow Ball."

"Poliwhirl, match each one with a Water Gun."

Soon the field was awash with colliding and exploding attacks, which Sam wasn't about to let happen in a hurry. He knew that Haunter was one of his best against Mellanie, and didn't want him tired out too fast.

"Haunter, double them."

Mellanie blinked in surprise; she didn't recognize that command, yet when Poliwhirl tried to fire a Water Gun at the incoming attacks, further Shadow Balls just flew straight through the explosions. Unable to react fast enough, Poliwhirl was hit, and braced herself into the ground, as more attacks crashed in. Mellanie looked up with an annoyed expression on her face.

"Poliwhirl, roll backwards, and rapid fire Water-Guns."

As Poliwhirl did so, Sam moved again.

"Haunter, vanish and use Hypnosis."

There was a ripple of surprise around the arena as Haunter vanished into the smoke that still filled the air around the field. Poliwhirl looked up in confusion at the target that it couldn't see.

"Try firing into the smoke and see where there is an impact." Mellanie called. As Poliwhirl started firing more attacks into the air, Sam smirked.

"Now Haunter!"

The Ghost-Type appeared in front of Poliwhirl, his eyes glowing. Mellanie, unable to react was forced to watch her Poliwhirl slump to ground, asleep.

"Dream Eater." Sam ordered. Haunter glowed and Poliwhirl started to struggle in her sleep, unable to fight back. Mellanie pulled out a Pokéball.