Chapter 26

Giovanni shut his eyes as he waited for the crack of the gunshot. A crack that never came. He looked down in surprise. His pulling of the trigger hadn't seemed to do anything. He released it, before trying again. Nothing happened. Cursing he raised the rifle above his head, intending to crash it down on Mewtwo's head, only to find it wrenched from his grasp. The Rocket boss spun to face the man in front of him. 'Champion' was there, already the rifle in his hand as he threw it across the room, before catching the arm that Giovanni tried to lash out with. He spun Giovanni around and forced him to his knees. The two Rockets who had been watching made a move forwards, causing 'Champion' to lash out. They were caught by the blast of force and sent flying into the wall, where they slumped to the floor, out cold.

Ignoring Giovanni, 'Champion' sank to his knees next to Mewtwo, before placing a hand on the injured Pokémons head. Sending out his energy he began to seal internal wounds, shocked at the condition Mewtwo was in. He had been beaten to within an inch of his life, and 'Champion' suspected that if he hadn't arrived to help, Mewtwo may have died. As he treated, he sent out a message to Espeon.

"I need Meganium."

"We are nearly finished up here. The last few are still fighting and trying to stop us getting their armour off. We are trying not to hurt them anymore."

"Good. Send her to me. Use Alakazam."

"Understood."

As the mental conversation ended, there was a flash of light. Alakazam appeared with Meganium at his side. She took one look at 'Champion' kneeling next to Mewtwo and nodded, stepping forwards. Vines came out and wrapped around Mewtwo, and she started transferring energy. 'Champion' continued to treat the remaining internal injuries before standing up. He felt drained; it had taken a lot of strength. He turned back to Giovanni, who had edged away, but stopped moving as 'Champion' fixed his gaze upon him.

"You are under arrest Giovanni."

Giovanni surged to his feet and started to run, but he hadn't even gone two steps when he felt himself lifted into the air. As he looked around, he saw Alakazam glaring at him, his spoons crossed and his eyes glowing blue.

"Take him to the others and begin rounding them up." 'Champion' said.

"Champion!" Giovanni shouted. "You are making a mistake! Agent will escape and you will never find him!"

'Champion' faced Giovanni. "You think I am not aware of the risk?" he said coldly. "Alakazam, send Espeon down when you are done."

Alakazam nodded and vanished in a flash of light, taking Giovanni with him.

'Champion' turned back to Mewtwo who was stirring in Meganiums vines. He knelt next to the Genetic Pokémon and reached out with his hand to touch the side of Mewtwo's head.

"Ash…" Mewtwo said. "Thank you."

'Champion' smiled under his hat, knowing that Mewtwo would see.

"I had to warn you. I couldn't let you make the same mistake." Mewtwo said, his voice gaining in strength as Meganium transferred more and more energy, regaining her own from the lights above. "I trusted him. I thought he had changed, thought he was ready to admit he was wrong. He was using me."