Chapter 13

As the helicopter lifted from the ground, the cloaking device turned on, making it impossible to follow. Giovanni sat facing Agent who looked at ease.
"A problem." Giovanni said tonelessly.
"Not so Sir." Agent replied. "We have lost the base, but the Pokémon Master is a wreck. He was broken when I left him. There are other bases we can use."

"Don't be a fool." Giovanni snapped. "If they could find that base they will soon target the other ones as well."
"Not if we get there first. Move the people out, and you still have a Team Rocket. Rebuilding will be far simpler."
"Do it" came the abrupt order. "Salvage what we can. We will get revenge."
As Agent got up and strode through to a different section of the helicopter, Giovanni looked back down at the receding Goldenrod City.

"How did you find us... Did Mewtwo lead you to us... that Pokémon wouldn't... he hates humans..."
Giovanni started typing furiously on a keyboard in front of him. Immediately a screen turned on in front of him, showing him the remaining camera feeds from the base. He was gambling that by the time the Pokémon League got into the network, he would be long gone. One camera feed drew his attention. It was a room from the ninth floor.

There was a defensive ring around the stairs, but it wasn't Rockets. They were in a large group, with only a few Pokémon watching them. Giovanni was intrigued. What could there be down the stairs that would cause the Pokémon League trainers a worry... As he contemplated it, the feed suddenly went dead. Typing again, Giovanni tried to bring up a camera feed from elsewhere in the base. There were none. Whatever had hit them had taken out the feeds from the entire base. Giovanni sat back in surprise, unsure what had happened.

He did suspect however, that this would not be the last he saw of the Pokémon League. As the thought crossed his mind, the last communication with his ex-base was sent, as Giovanni armed all the traps that had been put into his office in preparation for a day like this.
"Golduck, Hydro Pump" Misty called. Around her, Pokémon attacks were flying, as her squad drove back the Rockets.

As the latest group of Rockets that she was facing started to recall their downed Pokémon whilst backing away from the advancing squad, Misty pulled out a radio, allowing herself to fall to the back of the squad, as Pikachu ran up ahead to fire another attack at the retreating Rockets.

"Lance, there is a large room up ahead, and a lot of Rockets there. The stairs to the next floor down are at the back"
"Understood. I'm having other squads converge there, they'll hit from the sides once you've attacked."
Misty gestured her squad forwards, pulling another two Pokéballs from her belt. She was saving Gyarados for later, whilst her Seaking was recovering from earlier exertions.

As they reached the room, she threw out Starmie and Dewgong, As her squad released more Pokémon, the Rockets started throwing out their own Pokémon. Before any attacks could be called, another group of Rockets sprinted up the stairs, and started shouting.

"He's coming!" As they realized that Misty's squad was there, the leader of the Rockets ran towards her. Immediately her Pokémon moved in front of her, charging attacks. The rockets skidded to a halt, before holding their hands up. Golduck looked back at Misty in surprise whilst still charging his attack.
"Look, we'll surrender! Just protect us from him" The leader of the Rocket squad called to Misty who just looked at him in bemusement. As the Rocket took off his Pokéball belt and tossed it to the ground in front of him, Misty looked at Golduck and signaled for him to stand down. The Rocket turned to face the other grunts in the room.
"Guys, we haven't a chance against him. If we surrender we might actually survive this. The boss is gone, surrender."